Benefit Payment from age 65?

mefeinmise

Hi
Hi all
Can anybody help with this.
I'm on long term illness credits having been refused an IB payment
I have lodged a Invalidity Pension recently which is in very early stages...
Separately I turned 65 earlier this month
Q:
Am I eligible for Benefit Payment 65 while Inv Pension is been processed
Thanks

Hi
Hi all
Can anybody help with this.
I'm on long term illness credits having been refused an IB payment
I have lodged a Invalidity Pension recently which is in very early stages...
Separately I turned 65 earlier this month
Q:
Am I eligible for Benefit Payment 65 while Inv Pension is been processed
Thanks
You would not be entitled to claim Jobseekers Benefit if you have an open application for Invalidity Pension as you are not fit for work.

If you have the necessary prsi contributions you would qualify.

Unlike jobseekers benefit you do not need to available for and actively seeking employment.

Apply and see if you get it.

I have Class S cons I the GCY but have now fully retired due to illness.
I will proceed to apply this week and see how I get on.

Q If the Inv pension is approved can I switch over from date of approval rather than date of application
Thanks

I don't know how that would operate.
Usually they will arrange benefits in the way that is most beneficial.

If you are applying for Invalidity Pension, you are stating you are unfit for work. JB over 65 will still have to satisfy the following : Note that to qualify for either Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance you must be genuinely seeking work and be available for full-time employment and these conditions continue to apply to all jobseekers.

Thanks will proceed with Bp65 and see how I get on
On a separate issue entirely...
Did anybody ever have a issue with the 2001 Short year.!!
I badly need the 14 credits to top up my pension yearly average next year when I turn 66
I'm just short of the 20+ band...yearly average of 19.4,
Im not recorded for the credits in 2001 due to being a Modified Contributor back then.
Any ideas if I'm entitled?
Thanks

If you are applying for Invalidity Pension, you are stating you are unfit for work. JB over 65 will still have to satisfy the following : Note that to qualify for either Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance you must be genuinely seeking work and be available for full-time employment and these conditions continue to apply to all jobseekers.

This is not correct.

from operational guidelines for BP 65.....

A person in receipt of this payment:
  • Is no longer required to be available for full-time work or genuinely seeking work
  • Is no longer required to sign on the Live Register
  • Is no longer required to participate in Activation unless they choose to
  • Will be paid the full personal rate and the full adult dependant rate (where applicable)
  • Can participate in a course of education and remain on this payment. The customer must inform the Department if they commence a course with the Educational Training Board.
  • May continue to work in subsidiary employment

Thanks will proceed with Bp65 and see how I get on
On a separate issue entirely...
Did anybody ever have a issue with the 2001 Short year.!!
I badly need the 14 credits to top up my pension yearly average next year when I turn 66
I'm just short of the 20+ band...yearly average of 19.4,
Im not recorded for the credits in 2001 due to being a Modified Contributor back then.
Any ideas if I'm entitled?
Thanks

You might have some pre entry credits.

If you started class A employment within 2 years of ceasing modified Prsi employment , you might have change of status credits. Neither of these credits are shown on your Prsi record but are counted when calculating your pension.

If you have neither of these, you would need to deferr your pension until 1st January 2026 to gain the extra Prsi contributions. You wound need some employment or drawdown from an ARF to gain these.

Credits are not allowed after age 66.
You would also have to add an extra year to your averaging calculations.

Also in the averaging method, your Prsi credits will not be counted from January 2025 up to your 66th birthday.

Prsi is only counted on your last full tax year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update
I have all there avenues mostly covered.
The problem with another year on contributions in 2025 is that my hybrid mix with be 80/ 20 rather than 90/10 when claiming in 2026.
Am I correct in this?
Finally I cannot understand how the no.of years calculated for the yearly average cannot but incl the 14 credits for 2001 to be mathematically correct??
All other years being 13 months,2001 being just 9.
This goes for anybody with a blank year for 2001 in their respective record.
Thanks again for all the help

See here for averaging calculation info.

You will be subject to the 80/20 split as you state.
You will have 1 extra year added to your averaging calculations.
You will make a slight gain in your pension entitlement because of the deferral period.
You will lose out on pension payment from your 66th birthday up to the end of the calender year.

I would imagine that you would only qualify for the extra 14 reckonable credits in 2001 if you were paying class A prsi during that year.

You were a modified payer, so you would only get 14 modified credits.

Is there an unfilled gap between ceasing Modified employment and starting class S employment and how long ago is this gap ?

Could you make backdated voluntary Prsi contributions?

Last edited:
Thanks for this interesting thread ..it's contents are a mirror of my own situation
I was indeed a modified Contributor way back in 2001
I still cannot understand how 2001 year can be averaged without the 24 credits included
This applies whether one was a modified Contributor or just had a blank year then
Did anybody check this out Sligo

Back