Being Chased for an old debt

Jack McL

In 2005, I had a van repossessed by the finance company, as I could no longer keep up the repayments on it. A few months later, they came back to me looking for over €3,000, which they claimed was still outstanding on this van. I was unable to pay this, as I had become unemployed and I thought that having the vehicle repossessed would have been the end of the matter. After a while, they gave up trying to recover this money.

Fast forward to July of this year, when I received a phone call from a company I have never before heard of. It seems they took over the debts of the previous company and they are now chasing me for over three grand. They have sent a couple of threatening letters and even a form on which they expect me to provide evidence of my current financial situation, down to every last cent. My question is, after all this time, do they have the right to threaten me with legal action to recover this debt, or should I call their bluff and ignore them?

When you say "after a while" they stopped chasing you,when roughly would this have been?
What kind of loan was it?

My question is, after all this time, do they have the right to threaten me with legal action to recover this debt, or should I call their bluff and ignore them?

Yes they have the right to proceed with legal action but the statute of limitations is 6 years , which would be your defence if they do proceed to recover the debt. Call their bluff imo and do not acknowledge the debt or the statute of limitations clock gets reset AFAIK !.

When was the last time you made any payment on or sent any correspondence regarding the loan? If it is before 2009... see demoivre's response :)

Back