Being charged for late time sheet enty

thombom

Hi I hope someone can help me.

I was talking to my mam and she told me that if they do not enter their time sheet with the company she works for before 9am on a Monday morning they are charged €10.00 for an admin fee. I am just wondering is this 1; legal for a company to do. 2; is it common with some companies as this is the first time I have ever heard of it.

Few off-topic posts removed. This has nothing to do with showing up late or not working prescribed hours, it is a financial penalty for not carrying out a required administrative task on time.

Thombom, can your mum enter time sheets in advance? Most systems should allow that, she could enter default hours a couple of weeks in advance, then edit them at the time if required to more accurately reflect reality.

Working Time Directive means employers must collect accurate time records for all employees. It has led to better protection of employees' rights, particularly in some sectors, but also more red tape for employers. Employees being held accountable to enter their time sheets on time usually goes hand in hand with flexibility in terms of start/finish/break times. Some companies will actually take more serious disciplinary action against staff who fail to enter time repeatedly.

Last edited:
Solution is to drop it in on Sunday ? Or the last day one worked that week. No idea if it's legal. But it must be because people were abusing the system and not putting in their tiem sheets on time. I will say 9 am is pretty early if you're not working that day until later.

1. It is not against any law to implement an admin fee for such service.
2. It is not common, but from a Payroll Administrator I think it is a good idea as I'm fed up with people submitting timesheets late.

1. It is not against any law to implement an admin fee for such service.
2. It is not common, but from a Payroll Administrator I think it is a good idea as I'm fed up with people submitting timesheets late.
... and you a Union man... for shame!!! ;) :p

Thanks for the humour Purple and I can do with a laugh. I am a union man although I resigned my membership of IMPACT a few weeks ago because as far as I can see nearly the entire public service trades union movement leadership has been "bought" and are not representing the best interests of their members. Remember, they are paid to represent staff and not suck up to the government and employers. Therefore, I can argue that the trades union movement has left me and not the other way round. For the first time since 1970 I am not entitled to trades union representation.

Getting back to the issue here regarding an administration fee for late submission of timesheets, I have no sympathy for somebody submitting timesheets late. Even if they are working late on a Sunday, they can hand the timesheet to their supervisors that day for presentation to the payroll people. If they couldn't spare all of twenty seconds filling out a timesheet before they finished duty, then what are they complaining about? If I were in line for Sunday premium payments/overtime, I would have no difficulty in completing timesheets.

Back