Been made redundant - best healthcare plan?

Beanzy

I am hoping some of the healthcare experts on here could advise me. I'm 48, main income earner and just been made redundant. My company paid my healthcare (Laya Company Care with Excess) and I paid for my 3 kids. My husband's own company pays for his plan.

The current plan costs a total of €3,500 (as above, €1,800 of that paid for by my former employer). Obviously I need to bring this cost down now, as I'll be paying it all myself, at least until I find another job.

I could go nuclear and zap us all down to the most basic (cheapest) plan there is, but would ideally not like to lose the option of private hospital cover - the Galway Clinic being a realistic example of a private hospital we have used several times in the past. So I guess I'm wondering if there is some price v benefits sweet-spot for a family like ours? Probably asking the impossible...?! I am trawling through the HIA website, but there is so much information on there, I'm not sure I will be able to narrow it down.

Really appreciate any steer you can give me. Policy renewal date is 1 Jan if that's of any additional use. Thanks so much.

Hi Beanzy,

Welcome to AAM. Firstly, you're not looking for the impossible. Laya have exactly what you are looking for, details as follows;

Childrens Options;
Laya have a special offer for children at the moment, whereby you just pay for the first child and the rest go free.(for all kids under 18 yrs).

1. Laya Essential Health 300; price 234pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered; private hospital excess 300 x 2 max per year for all
admissions( regardless of how many) day case excess 125 per procedure in a private hospital. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

2. Laya Essential Connect Family; price 250pa; all public and private hospitals covered, plus some Beacon hospital cover, private hospital excess
300 per family per year for all admissions and day case procedures. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

3. Laya Flex 125 Explore; price 343pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals(Dublin) covered, private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission and
day case excess 50 per procedure.

[broken link removed]

Adult Options;
1. Laya Essential Health 300; price 895pa; all public, private and Beacon hi-tech hospital covered, private hospital excess 300 x 2 max per year
for all admissions, day case excess 125 per procedure.

2. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 150 x 2 max per year for all
admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included on this plan, 50% refund for gp visits, consultant, dental, etc
subject to a max refund of 50% of 1000 = 500 per year.

3. Laya Control 300 Create; price 1079pa; all public, private(including private room fully covered) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private
hospital excess 300 per admission, day case excess 125 per procedure. Good day to day cover included in this plan, 30 refund per gp visit,
80 per consultant visit, etc.

4. Laya Simplicity Plan; price 1231pa; all public, private(including private room fully covered) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital
excess 100 x 2 max per year for all admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included in this plan, 50% refund
for gp visits, consultants, etc. Note; the first 100 not allowed for day to day cover.

[broken link removed]

All the above options include Galway Clinic and all other private and public hospitals in that part of the country.
So the cheapest option is Essential Health 300 for yourself and the children; price; 895 + 234 = 1129 total.

Your current plan fully covers a private room in a private hospital, so I included 2 options that also fully cover a private room in private hospitals.
These are option 3 + 4 if required.
If private room cover in private hospitals is not important, Options 1 + 2 fully cover a semi-private room in private hospitals.

Regards, Snowyb

Oh wow, Snowyb, what a detailed reply. Thank you SO much, that is extremely helpful. Really appreciate this and the time it took. Thanks and Happy Christmas!

Back