BBLS vs. BComm

CGorman

Me again! Im the mad fella that posted this and before. Im just thinking about my college course preference and have a wee question. Just to briefly (i promise) recap;

• I leave school at 17 (next year)
  • I go to college
  • I train as an accountant and work as such for a few years
  • As soon as I have aquired enough relevent experience and capital I leave my job to pursue my entrepreurial endevours.

My question is: Would an accountant with a BBLS (Bachelor of Business and legal studies, UCD), ACCA qualification and four years experience earn more than an accountant with a BComm. (Bachelor of Commerce, UCD), ACCA qualification and five years experience?

The reason I ask is that the BBLS takes 4 years to complete whilst the BComm takes 3 years to complete; meaning quicker entry to the jobs market and thus the potential to gain experience sooner. So which of the two could command a higher salery? If either.

BComm I reckon especially if you want to get into the Job market faster.

As for earning more, if you are qualified ACCA (or ACA) the degree you got before that wont be all that relevant.

The big factor (as with most jobs) as you start working as an accountant will be the type of experience you get. For example, you could be working 5 years for Joe Bloggs & Sons in Castletownberehaven doing small company accounts earning OR you could be working for a Big 4/5 Accountancy firm in Dublin gaining accounting experience with Big Industry - who do you think would be earning the most ? Who'd be happier though ?!

In the meantime, enjoy college and dont dwell so much in the future.....
And learn how to spell Bachelor before you leave school !

Bachelor... clumsy me, anyways thanks for the quick responses; and as i've said before im not worried about the future; just want to get things right!

As someone has already says it will not make any difference to your earning potential which one of those two degrees you take, after you have completed all your accounting exams.

Saying that if I was going for a choice between the two of them I would DEFINITELY go for BBLS. I graduated from this course and basically it gives you a far wider choice of options than the BComm (in case you change your mind about being an accountant). It will give you all the core subjects of BComm plus most of the others and will also combine in with all the core (plus extra) subjects of a Legal degree allowing you the exemptions into Blackhall Place incase you want to go down that route in the future.

Thanks, does anyone disagree with cullenswood or has done the BComm? The( BComm Accountacy mode) offers far more professional exam exemptions... anyone do the BComm?

Out of interest cullenswood what sort of area are you now working in? And keep in mind that I do not want to work as an employee as such for more than 7 or 8 years.

I'm currently in the IT industry!! But friends that did the course with me have jobs ranging from solicitors, to barristers, to tax accountants, to Corporate Bank managers.

I did the BComm, and then went down the CIMA route with a blue chip firm.

Looking back on it I should have done the ACA (or better still the UK's ICAEW) exams, and then worked in the financial services sector. Salaries are very very high there for a good accountant compared to industry

Back