Bath seal

Des

I am buying a newe house, my architect doing the snagging has said he doesnt like the seal around the bath, he would prefer sealux strips, which would involve taking down a row of tiles.

The tiler has said that he has sealed the bath to the wall, then tiled wall, and then will seal around the bath with silicon, he guarantees that this will provide a leakproof seal. he said he doesnt like using strips as they are a diy product, and will mask any breaks in the seal.

Does anyone have any advice ?

Thanks

I disagree with tiler's comments- the Sealux product is a little more difficult to use than a "DIY" product such as silicone! The "Sealux" must be applied when applying the tiling so it's use is not really DIY territory. I think if you check out you'll have a good understanding of what's involved. That said it can be standard practice to use silicone only when sealing a bath, such as has been done in your case and your builder could argue that if you wanted his tiler to use a different detail you should have notified him well in advance. I think your tiler may be confusing "Sealux" with the cheaper "DIY" shower and bath sealing strips, which are certainly not comparable with Sealux. Unless the bath will also be used for showering the silicone should give reasonable service.

Back