Bankruptcy term reduced to 1 year - IPO for 3 years?

Thanks Silvio, must admit I'm at 'bricking it' point now.

Surely given all the hullabaloo pre Christmas there's no risk of this not getting in.

Not sure if its already mentioned here....if you do the 1 year Bankruptcy is there an extended period after if your financial circumstances change in the meantime? Thanks in advance.

Thanks Silvio, must admit I'm at 'bricking it' point now.

Surely given all the hullabaloo pre Christmas there's no risk of this not getting in.

None whatsoever I would think. It's now law.
However, a risk of a few more months before commencement now exists.
The break up of the Dail for election shouldn't be a huge factor as it needs no further input from Dail, it just needs Frances Fitzgerald to sign a commencement order.
However the real danger is this order isn't signed by election date, then we could be looking at months.

Thanks for heads up on Labour Ard Fheis, this should ensure some urgency.
They shouldn't be allowed take all the kudos for this until it is operational and this should be pointed out to Lab reps.

Last edited:
After all the effort that Willie Penrose put into this legislation I'm delighted to see that he has been re-elected in Longford-Westmeath.

The herald is quoting Willie Penrose as saying the one year term has NOT been passed. Site rules do not allow me to post a link but its on the herald website titled preschool and bankruptcy term at risk.
What is going on???

The herald is quoting Willie Penrose as saying the one year term has NOT been passed. Site rules do not allow me to post a link but its on the herald website titled preschool and bankruptcy term at risk.
What is going on???
I've just read it, I'm not too sure what specific part of the legislation he is referring to as the ISI has published the release dates for everyone currently in bankruptcy.
however I am aware that the removal of the requirement to attend two court sittings has not yet been enacted...could this actually be what is referred to...it wouldn't be the first time that a media outlet has bent a quote to get a headline.

I also see the independent ran the story about the childcare aspect and put in a picture of Penrose but made no mention of the bankruptcy element in the body of the text. it seems that the proposed measures mentioned in the article are not underpinned by legislation...this is not the case in the bankruptcy amendments as the legislation was drafted, approved, signed by the president and, crucially, commenced by the minister for justice.

there may be a political element of scaremongering by media, it is INM afterall.

Last edited:
Yes, given that it's been published by the ISI, made it to the Aras and back to the Minister for signature don't think there's any reason to be concerned about the main elements of the Bill. Could be a smaller element as Stuboy highlights.

Back