Bad Estate Agents-What to Do?

Bobby1

Hi,

Im selling my home and I put it on the market 3 weeks ago. Its in a really nice estate in North Kildare in and I went with a near local estate agents. (they were the agents that launched the development).

However after 3 weeks and no viewings or any feedback or updates at all from the estate agents Im thinking should I move to another.

The estate is still under development, so the agents are still selling properties off the plans, so a part of me was thinking they would not be as inclined to push my place as they have a greater interest to sell the off the plans in favor of the builder.

If I were to pull away from them now would I have may costs to face from them??? All they have done is put the property on one of the well known property search sites and a picture in their office window.

(p.s- Im only moving cos Im in an apartment and want to move to a house!)

Hi Bobby,

3 weeks is a short time for your property to be on the market. There is a residential "slowdown" out there for whatever reason and many sellers have had their houses on the market for months without viewings so I wouldn't be overly concerned about this.

However, I will deal with your other concerns in turn and I think you are justified in considering a switch.

1. The selling agent is still selling the Developer's property within your estate which has not yet been completed. This to me seems a conflict of interest, obviously the developer would have been their client first of all, not you, so I can't see how it would be to your benefit to have them marketing your property.

2. You have received no updates or feedback from the estate agents in question. In a bouyant property market this wouldn't be a factor because your property would be viewed and sold in a very rapid time (or so I would believe). However now that things aren't as bouyant as they were, this is where the good estate agents come to fore. Good estate agents update their clients, are proactive in finding them a purchaser and continuously communicate with them. Bad estate agents stick their property on the book and assume that it will sell itself.

In my opinion it would be time to change your estate agent, giving the reasons above.

Bobby i undersatnd what you are saying but its only been 3 weeks its too early to make a decison like this.

I had apt on with estate agents for 7 months and had 5 viewings, no feedback, etc and decided to move.

We paid €250 in advertising costs, they put apt on daft and myhome and picture in window.

We are now up with the new agents 2 weeks and nothing yet. The market is very slow your are just going to have patience, houses and apts are taking time to sell.

If there is still nothing in a couple of months then think about moving.

Bobby i undersatnd what you are saying but its only been 3 weeks its too early to make a decison like this.

I had apt on with estate agents for 7 months and had 5 viewings, no feedback, etc and decided to move.

We paid €250 in advertising costs, they put apt on daft and myhome and picture in window.

We are now up with the new agents 2 weeks and nothing yet. The market is very slow your are just going to have patience, houses and apts are taking time to sell.

If there is still nothing in a couple of months then think about moving.

Cheers for that, I guess I am getting ahead of myself a little! My post was fuelled by many bad comments I got from friends and family about the estate agents!

Hi Bobby, if people dont have a good opinion on them, well in my book that something to consider. With our original EA,lots of people told me they were useless but i decided to stick with them a while and see.

Mo3art had a good point about a possible conflict of interest.

My advice would be not to rush into a decision give it a few more weeks and if nothing has changed well think about moving them, you should only pay advertising costs.

Good luck.

Agree with mo3art

Also right now is the season to be selling, why wait ? switch now and get a more pro-active agent who at least keeps in contact with you and is pushing your house more.

Back