Backdate child benefit

Harfang

Folks , has anyone any idea how far back this can be backdated ? Due to some , I’ll call it clerical anomaly on her behalf (read daftness) my ex says she hasn’t got this since 2020! Child is 13 now. We were away for some time and not entitled to it but returned to Ireland in 2019. Thank you.

You should claim a payment as soon as you think you might be entitled to it. If you make a late claim you may get a payment from the date you sent your claim to the department but you may not get your payment back-dated to the time you were entitled to it but did not claim.

In most cases the time limit for making a claim may be extended. This means you can get your payment back-dated to the time that you became entitled to it or for least 6 months before you made your claim, whichever is the lower.

You will most likely get the six months only.

If this happens can still make an appeal if you want and you might get something. An appeal is free and the upside is several thousand euros, so you would be well advised to use it.

Hi my girl is just turn 2 since october I could not register her because I was my married before I had to get divorce first to register with my new partner my divorce just been finalized last week am I entitled back all social welfare back for her

About 5 years ago my wife realised that we were not getting child benefit payments for our 3 children for over 8 years... it had being stopped in 2011 when we went abroad for 12 months.

I sent all details to the dept in charge of this.. they are based on donegal. Proof of when I was out of the country.. l
Flight details.. hotel bookings etc. Also go Proof of my kids on irish schools etc.

Anyhow I didn't hear anything back for about a month and all of a sudden we got a cheque for €42,000.

So it's possible to go back a long way if you have paper work to prove your case

Back