Back to Back Cruises or Nursing Home?

Odea

Looking for comments.

An elderly friend of mine is considering going on some back to back cruises rather than move to a nursing home. The prices he is being quoted for a nursing home is averaging €1000 per week. He can get a weeks cruising for a similar price.
The cruise includes top class food, entertainment and inclusive drinks. There are also great medical facilities on board.
He can't get this thought out of his head.

It would be cruises for me too.
Being around active, social people who are enjoying themselves should not be discounted as an aid in your own mental (and physical) health. As opposed to cold, wet, Ireland, in the company of (possibly) infirm older people complaining about their health.

Just watch the calories and alcohol levels :)

Looking for comments.

Some drawbacks I can think of;

I don’t think they will get you up and dressed, give medication, assist with washing, toileting etc, but if you don’t need any of this, great.

Cruises also don’t qualify for Fair Deal or tax relief.

Has your relative ever considered independent living in a house / apartment within the grounds of a nursing home ? many now offer this facility.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Looking for comments.

An elderly friend of mine is considering going on some back to back cruises rather than move to a nursing home. The prices he is being quoted for a nursing home is averaging €1000 per week. He can get a weeks cruising for a similar price.
The cruise includes top class food, entertainment and inclusive drinks. There are also great medical facilities on board.
He can't get this thought out of his head.
Hi. If your friend is well enough to go on a cruise, he should not be going to a nursing home. If he chooses a cruise, he will be asked for a health declaration. If he is able to walk, even with a walker, and sign his own name, he will be allowed to board. Medical facilities onboard would be good but not designed for geriatric care, per se. Also, medical facilities are very expensive onboard so he needs good travel insurance. If he can get travel insurance, he should probably cruise. Long term cruising as an alternative to nursing home care is something of a myth. If the individual needs nursing home care, a cruise line will not take them.

Edit: 2f1 puts it well. Posted before I saw his post.

Lots of other practical drawbacks

Who does your laundry?
How long can you really live in such a confined space.
Are they really back to back cruises 365 days of the year ? How often do you have to pack up and move to the next ship.
What if there is a gap of a day?

How long can you really be happy living out of a very small suitcase?

I also disagree with the poster who says it will avoid living with older infirm people complaining about their health. It's guaranteeing that you are living with older people complaining about their health.
Sounds to me like a lot of Hassle.

I would go for the cruise. You can always pay staff extra if you have extra requirements like them doing your laundry.

You will also probably get a reduction if you are doing a lot of cruises.

I would prefer to go to a warmer climate from Oct to March and spend summer and autumn at home. I think I would be sick to death of spending my golden years on a cruise ship in a confined cabin. Besides nursing homes are only used as a last resort for those that require a high amount of care. Policy is to keep people at home as long as they can with social care supports where necessary.

Lots of other practical drawbacks

Including that if you do need proper medical care, you will be dropped off at the nearest port, wherever that may be, and the cruise will go on without you.

Also, medical services on-board are provided at additional cost, you'd be advised to check out those costs in advance.

You will have trouble obtaining medical insurance and will be expensive. I was refused just because I was taking anti depressants for SADs, the crazy thing is, if I go to the sunshine there's no problem

You will have trouble obtaining medical insurance and will be expensive. I was refused just because I was taking anti depressants for SADs, the crazy thing is, if I go to the sunshine there's no problem

Would you consider moving to a sunnier climate for the duration of the winter months? I guess it depends on your age and work pattern etc. you can rent quite cheaply over the winter in Spain, search for Leper's post on the subject.

The cost of insurance would be prohibitive even if available. Getting insurance for my 69 year old mother for travel was massive and limited to 90 days
Getting insurance for my 89 year old grandmother was price of cruise.

The other thing a cruise may sound glamorous but it's desperately samey and desperately boring. My aunt just back from 154 day one. Many days at sea. They paid over 200k but that only includes basic drinks and the most basic restaurant
Plus you are expected to tip 20% at end.

I went on a week one and that was more than enough.

Does one need insurance in Spain?

You can use your ehic card for up to 90 days from your day of arrival for emergency medical treatments in Spain. If you decide to remain in Spain for more than 90 days you need private health insurance.

Policy may be to keep people at home but currently there is very little back up to enable people to remain at
home should they need a lot of care. Sometimes home help consists of 30 minutes weekly or twice weekly.
There is a discussion paper on line at the moment, anyone can contribute to it.

Back