B&Q Discounts for Older Adults?

Marie

I was in B&Q here (somewhere in the Yew Kay:p ) today and noticed promotional leaflets for a 10% discount off everything in the store every Wednesday for adults over 60. It's called the 'Diamond Card Scheme' so presumably you have to produce evidence of age before registration.

I find whenever I go into one of these megastores and get a few things - lightswitches, couple of clematis, tin of paint etc. - my till-receipt is over £50.........so a 10% mark-down is not to be sneezed at over a few years if you're over 60.

Thought I'd pass it on as B&Q may have the same/equivalent scheme going in RoI and its nice to know that some transactions are the opposite to 'rip-offs'!!

I think Athlatic Homecare have a similer promotion - I could be wrong, its a long time since I was there.

I think that some of the DIY stores here operate similar schemes and have done for many years. I know my father used to avail of some over 60's offer in one of the stores that was open here years ago (Woodies? Atlantic?). On the other hand I've often found that stuff on sale in these stores is dearer than the local friendly DIY shop even after discounts. The main advantage of the DIY superstores is the range of products that they can carry but I've rarely found them competitive.

Woodies, Atlantic & Homebase do a 10% discount for OAPs on a Thursday. First I've heard of B&Q offering it?

I agree with Clubman, even after 10% the local hardware store is still usually cheaper, so still sounds like their ripping us off. Woodies/Atlantic offer 20% off in their sales and still have a good margin!

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had good experiences of some of the larger DIY stores ClubMan. As with all things in life, some are better than others and it depends on factors like local management. However as far as ethics and value are concerned some (like Asda and B&Q) have Investors in People awards, are frequently cited as firstclass employers (in financial section of The Guardian for example) and the evidence is also there in individual experiences. B&Q is also one of the chains with conservation policy on peat (their website is a learning-resource on preservation and development of alternatives). Today I purchased 3 x 75litre sacks of B&Q organic peat-free garden compost, two clematis (both marked-down to half-price because they are about to get new stock in) and a 3lb bag of high-energy RNIB bird-seed - total cost £22! In addition half-a-dozen employees (between check-outs and garden-centre attendants) had Irish accents and half of these - and 3-4 other store assistants - were over 50 (B&Q have a policy which positively discriminates towards older employees). In addition when I asked the assistant checking out my purchases if there was a public telephone nearby so I could call a cab my need was immediately relayed to the Help Desk who asked which cab firm I preferred and they would phone on my behalf.

Sorry - I'm not arbitrarily having a go at the DIY superstores. I have used them from time to time too. However in general I have always found the local DIY shops better from a convenience, price, value and overall customer service (e.g. good advice and a "just bring it back if it doesn't suit" attitude). Each to their own.

I'd agree with both Marie and Clubman. I find the local DIY store far more helpful and knowledgeable than the teenaged employees most DIY superstores seemingly have to drag in from their beds still hungover of a weekend. None of these people have the slightest clue/interest about answering even basic diy questions. Positively discriminating (if one can positively discriminate) in favour of older people, who actually have experience of doing diy is something all large diy stores should do.

Back