Average savings and income for ~26 year old?

I got my first proper job at 24 when I was still living at home and immediately started saving at least 50% of my net income. I'd say I had around 20k saved by age 26. Not a large sum but as my salary grew to somewhat above average, I increased my savings rate to ~70%. I took full advantage of the SSIA scheme along the way.

I had previously taken advantage of free college fees in my teens and early 20s.

Now I'm 33 and as one would imagine I have a fair sum saved and no debt

I should say that I am living rent and mortgage free as I inherited a property so have been very fortunate. But even if I were paying rent I would still be saving a good amount.

The fact that there was a property for me to inherit is a direct result of the actions and attitudes of my grandparents and parents. I also attribute my savings rate to my parents and the values they gave me

Recently I've been reading excerpts from the book The Millionaire Next Door which, based on their income and resultant net worth, classes people as:
PAW (prodigious accumulator of wealth)
AAW (average accumulator of wealth)
UAW (under accumulator of wealth)

The materialistic, hedonistic, credit fuelled lifestyle that many feel that they are "supposed" to lead particularly in their twenties would put them firmly in the UAW category.

Something else I find interesting is Jacob Lund Fisker's earlyretirementextreme blog - a blog about people on fairly average incomes acquiring the means to retire early by being frugal, saving, investing, avoiding debt and not following the herd.

Something else I find interesting is Jacob Lund Fisker's earlyretirementextreme blog - a blog about people on fairly average incomes acquiring the means to retire early by being frugal, saving, investing, avoiding debt and not following the herd.

Thanks for the link. most interesting and handy to have :)

Thanks for the link. most interesting and handy to have :)
I see Jacob has now retired from his retirement i.e. has gotten a job! He has now "passed the baton" to Mr Money Mustache.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Seems less extreme than Jacob's philosophy but is along the same lines. I have been doing lots of this stuff for years eg using basic hypermiling techniques when driving, doing weight training at home using my own (heavy duty) equipment rather than paying gym subs etc. These savings add up.

Even with all the doom and gloom at present about Eurogeddon, if someone can manage to live on 50% or less of their income and save the rest, they're not going to go too far wrong.

Enjoy your life while you are young! You never know what is around the corner....

I'm also 26 and I've been to 46 countries and up to 12 months ago I didn't have a cent to my name in savings. I have no regrets what so ever in spening all the money I had earned in travelling the world. Saying that I'm now living abroad and earning good money so I'm starting to save...

Just a thought!!

Back