average length of time to sell

The markets have priced in more interest rate rises, look at M3 money supply 10% for february these will decrease affordability for geared house buyers, I am trying to help out the poster without discussing house prices, a quite tricky thing to do, hence my focus on rates, etc.
Trichet has been very frank, no pun intended, about his intentions to deal with excess liquidity & very predictible in his timing.
Wait to hear him say "accomodative" in the next ECB report.
I do make a killing on lots of markets, btw, with lots of help from my internet friends:p

9 month Euribor futures currently price in a 40% chance of two more rate rises (Dec 07). 6 month Euribor futures only price in an 11% chance of two raises (Sept 07).

As I said - if you are that confident of your forecasting ability, open an account and make a killing on the Eurex exchange. Bid price on the 3 month is hovering around the 95 level right now.

Any further discussion should probably be moved to the ECB rate rises thread but I just wanted to point that neither you nor I know when or how many rises there will be. We are merely speculating so why not put your money where your mouth is when you do so.

Any further discussion should probably be moved to the ECB rate rises thread but I just wanted to point that neither you nor I know when or how many rises there will be. We are merely speculating so why not put your money where your mouth is when you do so.

Agreed.

But this thread has the feel of a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

Folks-please continue the dicussion on the future movements of interest rates in .

You are of course free to point out to the OP that the information in that thread may be of use to them.

Hi Sarah,

Ignore that SARCASTIC reply, you'll get one of them on every forum - they must have plenty to feel smug about. Anyway Sarah, if it is of any consulation, I am selling my house also, I won't mention location or price but at the moment the vibes I'm getting is that whatever the price I don't think people are viewing. An Irish Times Journalist wrote recently about her property being for sale and no one viewing. If you have put good money into your house - hold out for the price, it will take time I'm sorry to say. We have our house up for about 3 weeks and 1 viewing and in general this is the trend, the market is very gittery and after the election will stablise - the government have alot to answer for with the stamp duty - they will get rid of it for first time buyers and so they should but for high end properties I doubt they will - this is their bread and butter. Have confidence but I wouldn't sell below what you feel it is worth to you. I hope that your relative makes a recovery.

If you have put good money into your house - hold out for the price, it will take time I'm sorry to say. We have our house up for about 3 weeks and 1 viewing and in general this is the trend, the market is very gittery and after the election will stablise - the government have alot to answer for with the stamp duty - they will get rid of it for first time buyers and so they should but for high end properties I doubt they will - this is their bread and butter. Have confidence but I wouldn't sell below what you feel it is worth to you. I hope that your relative makes a recovery.

This seems to be the mantra that alot of EA's are using. As for getting rid of SD for FTB's I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in that basket. The government needs to get money from somewhere and with reports that the economy could be slowing they mightn't be in a position to abolish it.

This seems to be the mantra that alot of EA's are using. As for getting rid of SD for FTB's I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in that basket. The government needs to get money from somewhere and with reports that the economy could be slowing they mightn't be in a position to abolish it.

I agree. I think the SD issue is a bit of a red herring. If you are in a hurry to sell, perhaps you could offer to pay SD for the buyer?

Reply .

For those of you fretting about further interest rate rises be weary of listening to hawkish posters who may have their own agenda or dovish bank sales people (who definitely have their own agenda).

The bond market is an unbiased expert view of where rates are going from people have backed up their assertions by putting money on the table. Currently the market seems split on whether there will be two more hikes, with the rise in oil prices causing them to lean slightly in favour of two hikes. They see one hike as almost definite at this stage.

In the context of this thread whether rates rise 1,2 or 3 times doesn't really matter they've already done there damage,the empties are going to bury us now.

Just put my house on the market and I'm getting the same 'wait til after the election and the offers will roll in' line from the EA! I'm lucky to be in a position where I'm not in a huge hurry to sell, which is just as well, I've a feeling it'll be a long, long wait. My house is a three bed semi and there seem to be half a million of them for sale (in the same price bracket) out my way (west Dublin). I know, I know, property market speculation is banned, but it's a hell of a change all of a sudden. Genius that I am, I think I bought at the worst time, and am selling at the.....worst time. :eek: Oh well, such is life.

Well Undersupply,

I will have to agree everyone is spooked at the moment - I think we have the Government to thank for that - no harm to reduce stamp duty but they certainly won't delete it. From reading this forum and talking to other people at the moment, viewings are way down whether your house is a mansion in the country or a semi detached in a town or city at the moment there is no market perhaps until after the election. By the way your comment on being in stubborn denial, I'm not the argumentative type but it depends on how desperate you are to sell, everyone's situation is different - I personally would not sell my own property below what it has been valued for by 4 different auctioneers, I have had quotes to rebuild and I would not have much change from the asking price if I were to sell and build a house of the same caliber - this doesn't even include the price of the site. So point being you also have to set your own value on your house within reason.

viewings are way down whether your house is a mansion in the country or a semi detached in a town or city at the moment there is no market perhaps until after the election..

This is the second time you've posted that,this lady's property is not even subject to stampduty for a FTB,so there is no uncertainty with regard to her property.This constant, "it will pick up when x,y,z happens" is not helping people that wish to sell now.

By the way your comment on being in stubborn denial, I'm not the argumentative type but it depends on how desperate you are to sell, everyone's situation is different - I personally would not sell my own property below what it has been valued for by 4 different auctioneers.

I may be wrong but i think that is the denial that undersupply is talking about.Bear in mind auctioneers will give you a high "value" in order to get the business,then reappraise the value when you start complaining about no offers.Depending on when your property was valued it may not be worth that now,you can say all you want i'm not selling below "x" price,but unless you can find someone willing to pay that you will not sell your house.You do not set the price,the buyers do !.

You might blame the government,but i'm putting my money on a worldwide speculative bubble unwind.

Although i appriciate everybodys comments both positiave and negitave there is no reason to be sarcastic - see last post. For what we paid for the house ,the size of the house and what we have gotten done to it is the reason in my opinion, why i feel 305 is a reasonable price to pay for the house...although not smack bang in the middle of dublin or the likes i still commute every day and have done for near 2 years and have had no problems so its a reasonably good location. Although the price is negoitable i would not be able to drastically drop my price as although i will have to live with the sick relitave in question for a period of time, i will eventually be wanting to buy my own place near to them and could not afford to do so if i did not make any profit on my current home. -Again, thanks a mill to everyone's responces...the general concensus is to ride it out and the house will sell for near to the asking price...would that be correct?

..the general concensus is to ride it out and the house will sell for near to the asking price...would that be correct?

Hi Sarah

I have my own website selling property privately and I can tell you that the length of time it takes to sell your property does vary. Having it languish on the market for too long is not the ideal as the property will become "shop worn". Yes, the market has slowed and yet in Kildare for example 2 of our houses sold recently, one within a week and the other within 2 weeks. I am happy to send you on their ID numbers and the site if you would like to try and get in contact to verify. Others remain on the site for much longer. So, why do some sell quickly and others not? There are a number of variables that any seller needs to get right in order to sell a property but is even more important to get them right when you need to sell quickly.

Pricing your property...

If you are getting very few calls, or calls but buyers are not following up then your property may be listed at too high a price. That is not to say that you won’t get the price you are looking for, or even more. However, in order to achieve your best price you need to entice people to view your property ie increase the footfall over the door. Increasing the footfall through the door increases your chances of getting a higher price for two reasons. Buyers set price lines in the sand beyond which they will not go to view a property. Yet, if buyers view a property they like, they will frequently bid over that line in the sand. Secondly, you increase the chances of two or more people bidding for your property which will obviously drive up the price. So don’t lose the margin of people that would come to see your house at a lower guide price who will bid up if they like what they see.

Research the guide prices for property in your area using the internet and property sections of local newspapers. Make sure you are not benchmarking with a property that has been for sale for a very long time. You will need to know, not just the price at which similar properties are guiding but also the price at which they are actually selling. So, a good benchmark for your guide price is the price for which properties in your area have sold.

The guide price for other similar properties in your area (unless for sale for a long time) will indicate at what price to advertise your property. The price at which similar properties have been sold recently suggests the upper end of your guide price spectrum.

Presenting your home for sale.....

If after showing your property you are not getting bids it may be that your home is not showing itself well. If you are getting calls it indicates that your guide price is at least competitive for your type of property and location. So, if the price is fairly accurate and buyers have viewed your property but have not made any bids, it may indicate that you should look at the presentation of your home both inside and outside.
If you are getting calls and viewings but no bids you may not be presenting your home in its best possible light. Ask yourself honestly; is it scrupulously clean, fresh smelling, de-cluttered and tidy? It may seem like a cliché but it does increase your chances of selling if your home the more neutral and depersonalised it is. So it is important to ask yourself does it have a neutral colour scheme or do you have a colour scheme and décor that you know some people will love BUT others will dislike or even hate. Remember, when it comes to selling your property you are trying to appeal to the broadest market possible in order to get your best price. Chances are if your property elicits a very strong reaction from people, some of that reaction will be negative.

Buyers decide very quickly whether they are going to buy a property or not. By keeping your property clean and tidy, removing clutter, personal collections and extra furniture and by keeping your colour scheme as neutral as possible you are helping the buyer to visualize their furniture and their collections in your home. You want them to have “moved in” before they leave your property. This sounds like psycho babble to some people but really, there are very few buyers that can see past clutter and personal tastes etc.

Letting people know your property is for sale...

Auctioneers tell us, the majority of properties are sold locally with over half of sales leads generated by For-Sale boards. I'm guessing you have a board up but I do know sellers that want to advertise to the world on the net but don't want a board up outside their door!

It is estimated that about 80% of buyers go online when looking for property so its impotant that you get your property advertised online.

After on-line advertisong and for-sale boards(including directional boards if off main road) you should consider advertising in the property section of your local newspaper.

Let your family and friends know you are selling. The majorith of properties are still bought locally! You never know where a sale will come from. You could also print of flyers with the details of your property and put them up in your local shop etc..

If you consider and address these issues you should be well on your way to getting sold quickly. Best wishes for a quick sale].

Reply to thewatcher. I think the seller has as good a say as the buyer in whether they will sell or not - after all it is a negotiation between to parties on a price - the way you're talking it is as if the buyer dictates everything. And to answer your point regarding valuations being out of date - my property was only recently valued and I am in the happy position if I sell well and good, if I don't I'll stay put and further enhance my property - I'm not panicked by negativity. I'm not going to get caught up snipping - it was Sarah I was trying to help and perhaps advise. Good luck Sarah with your house, I hope you get the best price possible - pity there aren't a few more people out there like you to look after sick relatives.

Sarah do you mind me asking how much you paid for the house?

It would be fair to assume your need for a larger profit on the sale doesn't outweigh the need for a quick sale? (not sarcasm)

Reply to thewatcher. I think the seller has as good a say as the buyer in whether they will sell or not - after all it is a negotiation between to parties on a price - the way you're talking it is as if the buyer dictates everything. And to answer your point regarding valuations being out of date - my property was only recently valued and I am in the happy position if I sell well and good, if I don't I'll stay put and further enhance my property - I'm not panicked by negativity.

But sure isin't it all relative, you can adopt that attitude as you do not have to sell,you'd like to but you don't have to, you are esentially "testing" the market.If you find someone willing to pay what you think it's worth grand,if you don't fair enough.
I was half looking at a property a few weeks ago, where someone(not me) offered the asking price,the vendor then took it off the market and put it back on with an increase of €100,000.This in a falling market,after talking to the agent, it became clear the vendor was a messer, who was looking for the last of the "fools" and was quite happy to withdraw the property from the market for good if the price did not reach their expectations.

If on the other hand you had bought your "ideal" property with a bridging loan on the expectation that you would sell your first home no problem on the advice of your agent/broker/banker or that investment property isin't turning out to be such a great investment,you may see things in a different light.

Luckily sarah does not seem to be in this position.

Reply to thewatcher. Well I think that vendor that withdrew and put it back on market for 100,000 is being pure greedy. Thankfully I don't have bridging but I have bought land and have a mortgage to go with it hopefully to build an energy efficient house but planning will dicate this.

Also selling house in north Dublin at the minute. Has anyone had any experience with hiring a home stager to enhance the property for sale (declutter, reorganise furniture and accessorising) so that it will appeal more to buyers

Hi Elmay,
Havent hired anyone to do this but was thinking of setting myself up as a home stager am just looking into it at the moment. I am currently selling my own house in North Dublin Would give you some free advice if you like.
Lulu

Last edited:
Back