Aui A4 Avant 2002 Air Con not working.

eeks2006

The Air Con has recently stopped working in my car.
The air is still circulating through the car as normal, and the bog standard heat of the air is working, but when I turn off the Economy button on the display to select the Air Con and make the air really cold it doesnt work. The air remains the same temperature.

I have done some research on the net and read somewhere that that Air Con's in cars need something called re-gassing. Is this true or am I way off the mark, or could anybody in the know suggest another possible reason its not working properly.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Conor.

A/C needs regassing, or the compressor belt is faulty / slipping or the compressor clutch is faulty or the compressor is faulty.

Some motor-factors (inc Halfords) sell mini DIY regassing kits, try one of these first.

there should be a filler point under the bonnet where the gas can be filled into.

Looks a bit like the cap on the valve for pumping up the tyres only generally a bit bigger.

Find this take the cap off press down the centre pin of the valve for a second and see if any gas comes out at all this will prove if the system has gas pressure in it. The tiny amount you let out should make no difference. If you don't get a hiss of gas then it is gone.

better to try this first before buying the kit from halfords.

otherwise head for the mechanic, MKW motors does aircon as well.

Back