top of the range passat deisel?

Both work out at around 40k.

Leesoph said:
What do you think
Audi A4 1.9tdi
or
top of the range passat deisel?

Both work out at around 40k.
For that kind of money why not consider a 2/3 year old BMW 5-series or perhaps a Jaguar S-type e.g. (http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=372036),
X-Type diesels are well within that budget if you need a diesel (doing more than about 20k a year i'd guess).

A lot more car for the money, the worst of the depreciation is over and a lot more prestigous than the previous two.

Otherwise the new Passat is a fine car and rated very highly amongst any reviews i've seen.

Assuming you want to buy new, Passat and A4 are both fine cars, if your not concerned about badges why not consider the Skoda Superb or octavia also?

All cars share the same chassis, engines, and running gear.

I think Eurofan is right, you should look at secondhand, but the Passat is so new, they might be hard to get in the spec you want secondhand.

Also have a look at the new BMW 320d or maybe a 318d new would be around 40K

Test drive both and judge on that.

I would imagine the 170bhp passat should be some car to drive.

Although the Passat looks very pricey at 40k bloody VRT cutoff of 1.9 is a sly sting that Charlie Mc Greedy left.

I suppose you could head for belgard motors or deansgrange where there are audi and vw together and get them to pull out both cars and do a direct comparison.

Or as was mentioned buy a top octavia 2.0 TDi and save the 10 grand, if you are not that worried about badges.

The Octavia is the equivilent to a Bora or the new Jetta. The new Passat is very nice but big money. The new Jetta is a tiny bit smaller than the old Passat so it's a decent sized car. Might be worth a look.

guys don't forget the VW-Audi and Skoda are the same company! the chassis of the A4 and Passat are identical and basically its the badge.

for 40k i'd be looking at a mondeo and alot cash left

X-Man said:
guys don't forget the VW-Audi and Skoda are the same company! the chassis of the A4 and Passat are identical and basically its the badge.

In which case i'd plump for the Skoda Superb, really excellent car.

Eurofan said:
In which case i'd plump for the Skoda Superb, really excellent car.

yes and its bigger than the octavia and i must say that the octavia was/is still great value for money.the problem is people are afraid of the badge!!

for 33K you could have the Skoda octavia RS combi
- a 200bhp monster and its an estate! same engine as in the golf GTI!

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

larry1 said:
have had 3 A4's... defo recommend without doubt

larry did you everr have trouble with the support arms(front suspension).i had an A4 and they drove me mad 6 in total (3 front right and 3 front left).when they go the squeeking in aweful and are 80E each

Ah yes the Pram like suspension sweaks driving slowly over uneven roads, i had a 4 year old A4 that did it, tried replacing lower back drivers one and upper front drivers one, but still didn't work , traded it in in the end. Also had problems with C.V. Joints. car had 50k on the clock!

*updated*
Have a look at this UK supplier , if you can't pin point which arm to replace, why not do them all?
[broken link removed]

go to product overview and then special offers and scroll down to suspension arms

I read here before that the resale on the Skoda's is quite good - fear of poor resale is what would have put me off them before - so I figured a few more € on the way in and few more € trade-in on the way out and you're driving a more prestigous car for the same cost (though a bit more capital up front). Was buying an ex-rental diesel.

Do I take it Skoda works out cheaper (Vs a Passat) because resale holds up well?

You'd want to be brave to "down shift" in badges - deary me, what would the neighbours say ;)

Compare the Passat 2.0L HIGHLINE TDI 140BHP 6-S AUTO DSG List Price € 41,970
http://www.volkswagen.ie/Configurator/index.cfm?fuseaction=vw.Variant&modelID=283&bodyID=4248

and Skoda Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDI DSG / 103kW (140bhp)€ 30,945

[broken link removed]

Pretty much the same car (different badge) but a difference of €11025

Assuming of both cars deprecate 50% at the same rate over 4 years the Passat will be down about 20,000 but the Skoda will be 15,000. So that’s another saving in depreciation.

I would like to stress that I have no affiliations with any carmaker

Bought the Passat a month ago.
You should know... there's a 3 Month Waiting List!!!
Am currently drooling in anticipation and can't decide if that's a good thing or not...:eek:

HELLO I have worked in a vw audi dealer for 11 years now and can tell you the new a4 and passat are now 2 totally different cars on totally different chassis. 1 year ago they were the same, but now the manufactures have separated the brands so they would not compete, if any one was to drive the a4 would they not buy a passat or skoda.

Back