Audi a4 or a6 , any thoughts or experience??

weeslip

I'm looking to purchase an audi a4 or a6 in the next week. I'm after going through a web load of research and they come up in the top percentile in everything that is important to me. I've also wanted one since i was about ten and my next door neighbour had a lovely silver audi.

My question -

Any thoughts or experience on how the a4 and the a6 shape up to each other in the following areas -

- Handling/Performance
- Economy ( am going to buy diesel variant)
- Reliablity/Servicing

I'm looing at the a6 due to its vast boot and passenger area. Family planning really does hit everypart of the life :).

Thanks for any help.

weeslip said:
I'm looking to purchase an audi a4 or a6 in the next week. I'm after going through a web load of research and they come up in the top percentile in everything that is important to me. I've also wanted one since i was about ten and my next door neighbour had a lovely silver audi.

My question -

Any thoughts or experience on how the a4 and the a6 shape up to each other in the following areas -

- Handling/Performance
- Economy ( am going to buy diesel variant)
- Reliablity/Servicing

I'm looing at the a6 due to its vast boot and passenger area. Family planning really does hit everypart of the life :).

Thanks for any help.

i had an A4 in the past and it cost me alot in maintenance especially with the suspension rods which were 8 in total and had to be replaced every few thousand miles at a cost of 80E per rod.the interior of the A4 is comfy but not alot of space.

now on the other hand the A6 looks alot bigger but i really never drove or had one so i can't give you any detail into that model

Have you checkedout the reviews on honestjohn.co.uk, may be worth reading. They also have a link to a "reliability index" and from what I can remember they scored quite poorly there.
Best of luck whatever you do.

Don't know a thing about the A6, but have been driving A4's for the last few years. I've never had any problems with any aspect of the cars. I get it serviced regularly and do the usual checks in between; (I occassionally wash it too!) Mines petrol and is a guzzler which is the only negative comment I could make. The boot is more than adequate for my needs.
- Handling/Performance - smooth and quick! (not always a good thing, the speed sort of creeps up on you)
- Economy ( am going to buy diesel variant) - someone else might know more on this
- Reliablity/Servicing - very reliable, annual service

hth
Ruth

The Suspension Arm/ track rod problems were supposed to be sorted in about 2001, so any A4/A6 after that should be ok, look out for a face lift in the A6 about that time, make sure its the newer model, but if you've got 23k to spend you should be looking at newer than 2001.
If space is an issue would you consider Avant? (estate)
Make sure timing Belt has been done if its around 60K. its expensive to do because the front of the car has to be dismantled.
have a look at the usual:
www.carzone.ie

http://www.audi.ie (www.audi.ie)

I would also consider UK and N.I.
but make sure you get an AA / RAC inspection
www.autotrader.co.uk
www.ebay.co.uk

do a search for buying a car in the UK thread for more details on that.

I am currently driving an A6 Diesel which I bought in NI last year.
Before Xmas the central locking mechanism failed and as a consequence whenever I locked the car the windows would open!!!
Got it replaced in a main dealer and seems to be working fine now.
I'm 6'4" and have plenty of room in the car, boot is massive and it's very comfortable to drive.
Reasonably economical for my style of driving, I get just over 40mpg.
Feel free to ask any other questions.

Thanks to everybody. I'm still a little reluctant to buy in the uk, i want to be able to vent at somebody in person, even if it will be to no avail.

I've been looking at this a6 for a couple of days, might be willing to stretch the budget

[broken link removed]

or this one has also caught my eye -

[broken link removed].

Due to test drive the a4 and an a6 tomorrow so the moment of truth arrives.

weeslip look at these http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?page=1&nU=0&make=AUDI&model=A6&min_pr=75&max_pr=&postcode=ml1%202da&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1&photo=1

also you can check out the VRT by using this link and it will tell you how much the VRT is linky=https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

i bought a sports car in the uk 6weeks ago and saved alot.if you want your best deal and also best deal for money take my advice and head to the uk.i gave you the links necessary and its very plain and simple.

Back