Auctioneers fees

B

Bana

I am selling my house at present. I have sourced a buyer myself. Am I obliged to pay any auctioneers fees?

If you had the property for sale with an auctioneer/estate agent you may well be liable for their costs.

Did any auctioneer/estate agent do any work for you? If not then no.

Post crossed with CCOVICH's.

The only fees you will need to pay are any advertising costs incurred while the estate agent was selling your property. In addition you may have to pay for a for sale sign.

"The only fees you will need to pay are any advertising costs incurred while the estate agent was selling your property. In addition you may have to pay for a for sale sign."

This is not correct. The Estate Agent may well be entitled to charge their entire fee. Without knowing the full facts, its impossible to say. But Estate Agents can and will sue for fees and its dangerous to assure people of their position in such positive terms.

mf

Hi there,

Did you get a letter from your auctioneer when you decided to employ him? Has he/she a sign up outside? How did the person buying your place here of your property? The "For Sale" sign outside with the auctioneer's name is in itself an introduction by him to your property. I'd say the auctioneer would be looking for his fee - even though you probably showed the purchaser around the house. On a letter I got from one of my auctioneer's it states in the event that if we decided to drop him as auctioneer and if whoever purchases the property was in someway introduced by him as auctioneer i.e. via sale signs etc he could still claim his fee. On the other hand if you have not had such a letter maybe you could get away without paying fee. Good luck in selling your house.

Thanks for the feedback, although I seem to be getting mixed messages in the replies. The auctioneer does have a sign outside the house and did show clients around the house albeit only a few. I sourced the client myself and am dealing with him directly. I had made no formal aggreement re payment with the auctioneer.

I have no problem paying him for advertising etc but I do begrudge him the fee. He appeared unmotivated and unethusiastic from the outset, blaming the state of the market etc for lack of viewings/offers and I feel if I didn't make the effort to contact him I would never have heard from him!!!!

I must look into it furtherbefore I approach him re same.

Advise appreciated

Bana

Had a similar situation myself and worked on the basis that he advertised himself as a no sale/ no fee Auctioneer. I told him I had sold to a family member so was withdrawing the house from the market but I would of course cover all advertising costs, paid him promptly and got an Invoice marked 'bill paid in full' to cover myself.

However I do know someone who had to pay over the full fee although they found the purchaser themselves, the particular Auctioneer in that case had no hesitation in sending them a letter from his solicitor when they could not come to an agreement.

Back