Auctioneers and their misleading descriptions of properties - looking for long term rental

Marigold77

Not sure where to put this but am sure you will know! At present looking for a long term rental for late this year and know that sometimes if a house has been empty a long while the owner will allow rental , or when there is a house with land the purchaser may not need the house so will rent it out( been in a rental like that before).

The.. factual inaccuracies etc in the ads take my breath away... Yesterday I researched three houses and the ..... pinnochio would be an understatement .. and the cleverest photography I have ever seen. This is not allowed in the UK where I come from and makes the phrase " caveat emptor" take on a whole new meaning.. Including photoshopping the photos on the ad. Like adding a roof to a ruin...And repositioning the dwelling. Is this common here? I knew this could happen as some years ago I was seeking a property for someone from abroad and had to tell them that the ads were not accurate. Wary of formal complaints as if I sift through I might actually find something..

Including photoshopping the photos on the ad. Like adding a roof to a ruin...

Good grief, sound like you are out in the sticks :eek: you mentioned in another thread that you are a pensioner. Have you contacted your local Council. In most cases they prioritise housing for older people. Also in some areas they have sheltered housung options. CLUID are one of the bigger organisations that provide this level of accommodation.

At present looking for a long term rental for late this year ........................

The factual inaccuracies etc in the ads take my breath away...

Including photoshopping the photos on the ad. Like adding a roof to a ruin....

Is it possible that this house is currently been renovated and will have a roof late this year.

If so, it is reasonable to show what the house will look like then, rather than what it looks like today.

I bought a house when the brochure showed it had a roof, windows, doors etc, even children playing in the garden, but at the time, only the foundations were down and I was single.

Went see local big house few yrs ago for the nose, tarmac drive in photos.

On arrival dirt road...Had estate agent quote €3000 to do, it was a huge drive, more like €30000.

Good grief, sound like you are out in the sticks :eek: you mentioned in another thread that you are a pensioner. Have you contacted your local Council. In most cases they prioritise housing for older people. Also in some areas they have sheltered housung options. CLUID are one of the bigger organisations that provide this level of accommodation.
An thanks, but no way would i accept council or sheltered housing. I have medical and other needs that I am out in the wilds as I am now. I made sure to be off the housing list. Yes out in the sticks and will play this agent now i know what he is up to!

Is it possible that this house is currently been renovated and will have a roof late this year.

If so, it is reasonable to show what the house will look like then, rather than what it looks like today.

I bought a house when the brochure showed it had a roof, windows, doors etc, even children playing in the garden, but at the time, only the foundations were down and I was single.
Well, the ad says there can be plans for roof and velux windows but such a pretty roof he has put on, and this place has been listed for many years and no takers. Just a battered ruin! No work being done and then up to the buyer.Saw two more of his listings when I was out and his idea of a "private and peaceful location" needs some tweaking.. large working farm next door, a mobile home across the fence by the house windows and a cattle shed with occupants across the narrow lane...and the other one, described ditto, at the back of a farmhouse and by the farm so you would have to use the house drive and pass the door and windows to get in and out.. and that one had been " relocated" more than a little! Another agent has literally whitewashed a house on the main page and when you open the ad, black ruins.. They sure have imagination! I am onto him now! The trick is to ask in the local shops...

An thanks, but no way would i accept council or sheltered housing. I have medical and other needs that I am out in the wilds as I am now. !

All the more need for you to be residing close to medical facilities, how long would it take the emergency services to reach you if you living out in the wilds? Most elderly people tend to move closer to towns and cities when they get older so they are closer to vital services.

Back