Auctioneer gave potential buyer house key

I cant believe people actually put up with this. Its mad. I would be demanding my keys back, by phone, letter, or in person and I wouldnt leave it til I had them in my hand. That is downright wrong. Stand your ground, dont be afraid to, its still your house. You have the say who goes in and out not some shabby auctioneer.

Seems pretty common, when we were looking this time last year we were initially dealing with a very well known agent, we viewed around 5 houses, and only one was shown by them. The rest, well we were given the keys and directions and went off ourselves! It's not something I would like myself if I was selling. We could have been anyone and we were let loose on 4 houses with keys.

No waiting for auctioneer to get back to me today, which he didn't. Out of the office. Should know something tomorrow, if not heads will roll. This has been dragging on since mid October and if they did not have a key im sure the sale would have gone through by now.

I will let you know what happens.

Still no resolve to my situation. Auctioneer does not want to upset the buyer by asking for the keys back but does not mind upsetting us he wants us to drop price by 10k, for problem with slates on the roof after the bad weather over christmas and new year. This is a thiry year old house and the price they agreed to pay reflected the house needed work. Surely the house has gone up in value since they agreed in mid October to buy, but according to the auctioneer houses in the town have gone up but outide the town they haven't.

Will keep you informed

Still no resolve to my situation. Auctioneer does not want to upset the buyer by asking for the keys back [...]
This is absolutely shocking. I think you need to demand that the auctioneer indemnify you against any claims arising from unauthorised access to what is still your house. That should get the keys back pronto.

Mactwo, I haven't heard that the heads have rolled isn't that what you said would happen if you didn't get any resolve by the 23rd. Change the locks and auctioneers. If the purchasers want the house they can buy it off the new auctioneer. I bet if it's a small town in the country there is some connection between the buyer and the auctioneer if you looked hard enough.
The advise about reporting to the gardai is good too but you can only do this once you have told the auctioneer that you no longer want the buyers in. Who owns the house.

Seems pretty common, when we were looking this time last year we were initially dealing with a very well known agent, we viewed around 5 houses, and only one was shown by them. The rest, well we were given the keys and directions and went off ourselves! It's not something I would like myself if I was selling. We could have been anyone and we were let loose on 4 houses with keys.

I presume they also gave you the code for the alarms (if there was one fitted). A more dishonest person might take a copy of the key, wait for the new owners to move in, and then call round to the house and help themselves to the new euipment that the new houseowner had bought for his new house.

Even better, wait 4 or 5 years when they have a bit more money and then pay a visit. How many people here have changed the locks and the alarm codes when they moved into a new secondhand house or even a new house where every tradesman would have unrestricted access to the keys.

Murt

I talked to the auctioneer who eventually got me on his side (you have a buyer, work with them) and then I came home and I read the comments that were left and felt stupid, so I rang auctioneer and informed him if the sale has not gone through by 1st February the house is to go back on the market I have sent him these instruction in writing, also I have decided to move myself into the house until then.

Good on you Mactwo. Great idea. If the house is to go back on the market maybe you will consider a different EA. Best of luck with the whole lot as I know it is stressful enough selling/buying a house without the added problems.

Back