Au pair Pay

just to throw another spanner in the works, are you declaring the rent you are charging your au-pair

Ok I have a very quick question. Does the room and board limit of 54 euro only apply to staff on the minimum wAge? So if the au pair/ nanny lives in your home and earns say 15 euro an hour does the 54 euro limit apply?
My understanding, from reading about this on other websites, is that the €54 max deduction applies to Au-Pairs only and not 'staff'

Something else just occurred to me in this new minefield, would you need employers insurance or would your house insurance cover any event

Something else just occurred to me in this new minefield, would you need employers insurance or would your house insurance cover any event
House insurance covers domestic workers up to 1m or so if I recall correctly a conversation I had with my insurer a few months ago

Delboy the ruling said that there are no 'au pairs' in Irish law. The 54euro a week is contained in the minimum wage act.
No tax due as it would be covered under the rent a room scheme.
So if earns more than minimum wage, I could set up s rent a room scheme as a separate contract?

If you read the actual ruling rather that what Migrant Rights are saying about the ruling it doesn't say au pairs are employees. It says where a domestic worker is an employee then employment law applies.

This is what the Dept of Justice say

[broken link removed]

Anyone know is the 54 euro a week contained in any other legislation? Does it only apply to those on minimum wage?

The issue of "tools of the trade" doesn't arise as the difference between an au pair and a drop-off or call-in child-minder is that an au pair must live in, apparently at the au pair's expense. To work as a truck-driver I drive my boss's truck but not at my expense.

There's a beautiful irony in paying an au pair €6.15 / hour (as per @mrs09 above at €200 for 30 hour week) to take charge of your most precious asset, in comparison to what auto technicians or plumbers charge.

Last edited:
Mathapec we do pay 200 euros a week, she has her own rooms in our house, all utility bills included. All the food she would like to have.

She is very happy with the arrangement so are the kids and so are we.

We now will probably do as another poster suggested which is ask her to move out, get her own place and be our childminder and rent the room out.

i have already suggested this to her and she is very upset about it.

Not really sure where the irony you are referring to is. Last time I hired a plumber I didn't give him a bed for the night and dinner when he finished

Comparing an aupair with a plumber is a bit mad , I thought an aupair was some young person looking to do a bit of traveling and learning the native language and doing some childminding in return. But of course it was abused by a small minority that treated it as slave labour. mrsg90 you seem to be one of the good ones and threats your aupair very fairly, and who would want an unhappy aupair around the house.

We have been talking about it again here this morning.
We are thinking of drawing up a contract as a 'childminder' she wants to stay here for at least 1 more year.
We are thinking of doing up a contract of employment in which we pay her 10 euros per hour. Then into a seperate contract in which we agree to less than the market rent for the rooms she has.
What do ye think?
I am awake all night trying to figure this out

Galway pat
I have no idea. If you au pair or childminder isn't happy how can she make your kids happy?

There's a beautiful irony in paying an au pair €6.15 / hour (as per @mrs09 above at €200 for 30 hour week) to take charge of your most precious asset, in comparison to what auto technicians or plumbers charge.
Does the Mechanic or Plumber live in your gaff and eat from your fridge?

Galway pat
I have no idea. If you au pair or childminder isn't happy how can she make your kids happy?

Personally speaking you seem to have a good relationship with the au-pair and she with your family, I would not go rocking the boat just yet by asking her to move out as it would change the whole dynamic of the situation.
Give citizens information a call and ask their view maybe talk to an au-pair agency or a solicitor

We have been talking about it again here this morning.
We are thinking of drawing up a contract as a 'childminder' she wants to stay here for at least 1 more year.
We are thinking of doing up a contract of employment in which we pay her 10 euros per hour. Then into a seperate contract in which we agree to less than the market rent for the rooms she has.
What do ye think?
I am awake all night trying to figure this out

I think you're overreacting massively to the whole situation. The facts and circumstances in the case that has ruffled your feathers don't exist in your case. Unless you have a major falling out with the girl, which is very unlikely IF YOU LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE...!

jon thanks for your input but to be honest I don't think I am overreacting. while we have a great relationship, I am anxious to protect our family from any chance of litigation down the road. say if she stays with us another year, gets pregnant / wants to buy a house or apartnment and is stuck for money for sick relatives at home etc etc etc

all I am trying to do is keep our happy situation in the home and protect our family from any possibility of future litigation which we really really cant afford. we bought during the boom and have a huge mortgage

OP, I wouldn't make any drastic moves if I were you.

The child care situation in this country is very murky. There are thousands of unregulated/untaxed childminders who provide care, usually in their own homes, for monetary gain. (In most cases, superb care). There is no real appetite to tackle this - although it is debatable as to how many of these individuals would actually be liable for income tax - so, like many issues in Ireland, there is a blind eye turned to it.

The au pair situation, despite this ruling, seems to be a similar grey area...

Back