Attic conversion costs?

Sunnygirl69

What's the average costs of attic conversion these days? We're in north Leinster & house we're looking at is 100 sq metres just to give idea of size of conversion. Would be thinking of 1 bedroom & ensuite up there.

Hello,

€15,000 sounds extremely optimistic.

I'd suggest it's €30,000 - €40,000 (and that assumes no need for planning permission, to make amendments to the roof, you don't want to put windows in the front, install a expensive bathroom suit etc.)

40k much closer to reality depending on the current roof structure, does it need steel etc. how many windows that should include the en-suite though. We had one done a year ago, but after waiting a year for them to start we had to pay almost 20% over quote due to material costs increases (which we saw invoices for) 100 sq metres is a massive area though, that’s 3 or 4 times normal attic size. So that would be 3 or 4 times more costly.

Hello,

I'd suggest it's €30,000 - €40,000 (and that assumes no need for planning permission, to make amendments to the roof, you don't want to put windows in the front, install a expensive bathroom suit etc.)
I'm pretty sure no need for planning permission. Many homes in the estate in question have had their attics converted with no PP required.

40k much closer to reality depending on the current roof structure, does it need steel etc. how many windows that should include the en-suite though. We had one done a year ago, but after waiting a year for them to start we had to pay almost 20% over quote due to material costs increases (which we saw invoices for) 100 sq metres is a massive area though, that’s 3 or 4 times normal attic size. So that would be 3 or 4 times more costly.
I would imagine house total footprint is 100 sq m, so probably attic is < 50?

I'm pretty sure no need for planning permission. Many homes in the estate in question have had their attics converted with no PP required.
You will probably need planning permission if you add dormer or velux windows. Note if you convert the attic to a bedroom without PP, you probably won't be able to sell the house in the future as having an additional bedroom (ie 4 instead of 3) but rather as having the attic converted.

Hello,

What are u basing your guesstimate on?

You will probably need planning permission if you add dormer or velux windows. Note if you convert the attic to a bedroom without PP, you probably won't be able to sell the house in the future as having an additional bedroom (ie 4 instead of 3) but rather as having the attic converted.
Multiple houses have done this job years ago without PP. Yes I've heard 'officially' attic bedroom can't be counted as bedroom.

If you can DIY it, then you can save a ton, but contractors range from 12-18k

I don't know if they're worth it, now-a-days labour is more expensive than materials

we paid 27k, large bedroom & on-suite bathroom upstairs. cost included steel beams,stairs, spray foam, windows, storage units etc.. delighted to get it completed

Planning is not needed if only Velux windows are used and only to the back of the house. If ever selling, the attic room can't be called a room as in most cases, without dormers that do need planning permission, it wont meet the required floor to ceiling height over I think more than 50% of the floor area. But any buyer will see it for what it is particularly if it is done properly.

My attic is done for a while now but at the time I found ‘’prices from only’’ that you see advertised to be very misleading. They were usually for a very basic conversion. Maybe only 1 Velux window, maybe only 2 lights and 2 double sockets. Chipboard floor, proper t&g deal or hardwood floor extra. Basic plank stairs, to match existing stairs extra. Flooring in the eaves for storage extra. Proper insulation extra. Replacing existing tank in attic extra. Bathroom extra, where it is included, tiling is extra, that's off the top of my head, there are more.

Don't get anyone to do the job if an architect's certificate of compliance is not included in the price, apart from knowing the job is done properly, you will need it if selling in the future. I asked one cowboy who priced the job about a cert and he very kindly offered to take €250 off the quote once I paid, saying I could then get any Architect of my choice to do it :).

I would imagine house total footprint is 100 sq m, so probably attic is < 50?
Also bear in mind when you allow for eaves on both sides and stairs, your actual attic room will be roughly half again. Still with a floor area of 25 sq m it will probably be the biggest room in the house, it is by far in mine.

Back