Attic Conversion and Home Insurance

Meme80

Hi all,

I have seen a couple of threads on this but cant find a consistent answer.

I have gone sale agreed on a 4 bed semi-d house. The house has a converted attic (proper stairs access, flooring, heating, sockets, 1 velux window). This is currently being used as a guest bedroom by the vendors but is not advertised as a bedroom (house is 4 bed + attic conversion not 5 bed). The conversion has not got planning permission and from what I have researched does not need planning. The planning is not my issue as Im happy what it is and advertised as.

My question is regarding home insurance - could this affect the premium and should it be declared when getting my home insurance? Most home insurance quotes are availalbe to buy online now and there is no option to disucss attic conversion.

I will of course ring around afew insurance companies when I get the time but just looking for any experiense anyone has on this?

Thanks

just looking for any experiense anyone has on this?

I have a 4 bed semi and had my attic converted, the advice from my insurers Allianz was they would amend my policy to a 5 bed even though the extra room is not officially habitable accommodation.

They also confirmed in writing that having an attic conversion in no way affects my home insurance policy, all benefits and cover remain the same.

Your premium will be more, as the rebuild cost should be increased to reflect the extra room.

Last edited:
Was there much of a hike in the premium?

Can’t recall exactly, it was not much.

Anyway it is irrelevant, you have to insure what you have which is a 4 bed semi with an attic conversion.

Shop around and compare quotes.

Back