Asbestos Roof Tiles

Leesider32

I need a job done to a section of roof that was probably done around 40 years ago. The roofer has come back to say they are asbestos tiles so hence it is a lot higher charge. He sent up a drone to have a look at the roof so there was no physical examination.

Is it easy to tell if it is an asbestos roof from just photos?

Btw they have been very easy to deal with and have a good reputation but I am curious as to how they are so sure without doing a physical examination. I can send a photo if anyone is interested in having a look for themselves.

Thanks

Perhaps attach a photo here?

Good roofers who have been around long enough usually do recognise tiles though. I had a cracked tile a while back, sent a roofer a photo of what I could see of the roof from the ground (two storey), he arrived with exactly the right tile to replace it (though my house isn't as old as yours though)

Perhaps attach a photo here?

Good roofers who have been around long enough usually do recognise tiles though. I had a cracked tile a while back, sent a roofer a photo of what I could see of the roof from the ground (two storey), he arrived with exactly the right tile to replace it (though my house isn't as old as yours though)
It is the section in the middle.

Attachments

• Roof.jpg
    Roof.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 105
These are not tiles- but slates.
There is no way to judge by the look of these slates if they contain asbestos or not. The fibre cement slates which are in use today are looking the same as on your photo after 30 years or more in service. Colour fades away, they turn greyish and the surface is very rough.
Only a detailed examination of a slate on your roof can tell if it is asbestos or fibre cement slates. This can be done by a lab through sending in a sample. Another way would be removing one slate and looking for inscriptions on the back. You could find the producer and the year of production of the slate printed on the back. This may or may be not still visible. If you are lucky, you can contact the producer with the details you find.
I have been roofing in the 80s and 90s. Asbestos cement slates were phased out in the mid 90s. If your roof was slated before that it carries most likely asbestos cement slates which need to be properly dealt with. Unfortunately that is not cheap and requires people who are trained for the job and who are willing to follow the rules. Someone with a good quote might not always be the best choice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, I would say the guy I got is fairly confident that it is asbestos and he does have the HSA licence as well. Getting another guy out on Friday morning to see what he says and to get another quote, so I will see how that goes first before committing to anything.

Reactions: Leo
Back