Are Showhouse Contents liable for stamp duty

oaky9

i have seen a brand new showhouse on the market in roscommon for 340k including contents. i am a first time buyer and want to know could i purchase the house for 317k just to be under the ftb threshold limit as to pay no stamp duty and pay 23k to the developer, Or do i pay stamp duty on 340k . There is definitely 23k worth of furnishings and appliances in the house. Please advise

The total price of the purchase is what determines if it is liable for SD or not.

In this case, if the contents do actually cost 23k, you would be liable for SD (as the combined cost is above the stamp duty threshold) but only on the lower amount (317k or whatever the property cost alone is/was).

Detailed many times on AAM, such as here

thanks satanta for your speedy answer. great answer and thanks for the reassuring link. Am due to talk to solicitor and estate agent tomorrow so will keep you posted.

Are not all new builds below 125m2 exempt from stamp duty regardless of price? Does the €317k limit not just apply to second hand houses are am I delusional?

its its a new house and under 125m2 then no stamp duty is paid regardless of how much the house is selling for

I recently read that if you can prove, ie get the furniture valued, that this is deducted from the price that you are paying therefore if the price, minus the contents is less than the threshold, you shouldnt have to pay. I am 100% this is correct!! Check it out!

I recently read that if you can prove, ie get the furniture valued, that this is deducted from the price that you are paying therefore if the price, minus the contents is less than the threshold, you shouldnt have to pay. I am 100% this is correct!! Check it out!
Try reading the revenue website instead. You're wrong, although it's a common misperception, but just be careful about giving "information" if you don't have a completely reliable source you can give.

The rules are pretty clear...Dreamer is right.
However, it isn't hard to find an Irish solution to an Irish problem...cash is king and all that!
If you're that way inclined...

Back