Are builders responsible for snag problems

Sarah

Can anyone tell me if the builder is obliged to complete your snag list regardless of how minor the snags are? For example we put down marks on banisters, door frames damaged, shores blocked ect. Also the builder has already transferred the electricity to our names but i have seen the builders use the electricity in my house so does that mean i am liable for the bill when it comes? and one last thing...if there are shelfs in the hotpress in the showhouse does that mean they come as standard in other houses unless specified?
Thanks a mill

There should be "spar shelving" (made from planed battens) in the hotpress, otherwise it is not suitable for airing clothes and could not be considered complete. As for snags, there are no definitions of what constitutes a reasonable level of finish. But shores/ drains should be clean, free from obstruction and free flowing. You should take a meter reading at the first opportunity (you can buy a key for the cabinet at any hardware store). If the reading amounts to less than €20 worth of electricity I think you should ignore it and write it off. Your builder is in a strong position here regarding what he will accept as a genuine snag or defect to be remedied. He can accept all snags and make a genuine effort to remedy them IF he is eager to close the sale and get the money in OR if he chooses he can decline and pretty much tell you "take it or leave it" and risk not closing the sale and returning your 10%. The house should be completed to your satisfaction but remember it's very easy to get caught up in the whole process and not see the wood for the trees! With some (very) minor snags you might be better to accept them and remedy them later yourself, probably to a better standard than the builder's snagger is going to manage.

Thanks for that carpenter. I took a meter reading and it amountes to 00.07 whatever that is, i presume its quite low.Ill just have to wait and see i suppose. There was bad plasterwork and chips off door frames things like that and the painting that was done there were drip marks allover the walls some so thick that they had been knocked off leaving the bare wall visable! He seems reasonable enough so fingers crossed. One other thing is that we were told to get a freestanding fridge but the fitted kitchen has like a hole enclosed for the fridge to fit into. Now im not sure but shouldnt a freestanding fridge not be in an enclosed area or does it matter? Just want to get moving at this stage. Do you know how long it usually takes for solicitors to close after the final snag is done and you are happy enough?
Thanks a million for all your info!

From what you say your meter reading corresponds to 7 units, less than a €1 worth probably; just keep a note of the reading and when the reading was taken. The hole that's left in your kitchen cabinetry, are you sure this is not for the built in double oven? Not withstanding this the freestanding fridge can still slot into a cabinet, providing sufficient gaps exist for ventilation and cooling of the fridge rear coils. What the builder probably meant when he said to get a freestanding unit is that the kitchen will not come with doors to suit an integrated fidge, so there's probably no need to worry. Write to the builder and seek written confirmation if in any doubt. From the time you give your solicitor notice to draw down the money and complete the sale it should be possible to close within 2-3 weeks, but again this depends on the efficiency of the solicitors involved.

Thanks a mill Carpenter...Wish i had you doing my house!!!! Our solicitor has already asked the bank for the cheque to be drawn down pending the final snag is satisfactory so hopefully its sooner than 2weeks later! There is a space at the back of the fridge enclosure so i presume that will be sufficant for ventillation purposes! Thanks again...your a life saver!!

Back