Apportion personal expenses for business on/for Form 11

But that Revenue are happy to accept any old rope as evidence that the business use was not exclusive.

I don't see anyone suggesting that, there has been several people proffering their views on how to get around the issue, but no-one so far has told us any tales of Revenue querying or challenging a claim and how that played out....

As another recent thread illustrated, most people don't include the disposal of their PPR on their return so it would be something that Revenue would need to identify for themselves in the first instance and come a knocking about...

So the consensus opinion on PPR relief from CGT seems to be if a part of the home is used exclusively for business purposes, then the relief is lost pro-rata. But that Revenue are happy to accept any old rope as evidence that the business use was not exclusive.

Hardly, but on the other hand Revenue are likely to be in a weak position to challenge any credible representations to the contrary, made by home-office taxpayers.

I suspect this issue is likely to arise more where taxpayers make unjustified claims for home-office cost addbacks and mistakenly try to justify these by claiming that a particular room or area in a home is used 100% for business purposes and has no personal usage element. They only twig when it's too late that this grandstanding has CGT implications.

I suspect this issue is likely to arise more where taxpayers make unjustified claims for home-office cost addbacks and mistakenly try to justify these by claiming that a particular room or area in a home is used 100% for business purposes and has no personal usage element. They only twig when it's too late that this grandstanding has CGT implications.

well I missed all the drama on my post but it was all interesting to read just now ....
From what you say would it be true to say ( and I hope this is not an over simplification ) that if someone were to try to claim too much of the house expenses as business expenses following the logic that the "space" is "all business" ( eg maybe if they had a separate heating boiler for the "office" section of the house) ... that it might come back to bite them with regard to the CGT implications ... but that other than that the revenue probably have bigger fish to fry.

well I missed all the drama on my post but it was all interesting to read just now ....
From what you say would it be true to say ( and I hope this is not an over simplification ) that if someone were to try to claim too much of the house expenses as business expenses following the logic that the "space" is "all business" ( eg maybe if they had a separate heating boiler for the "office" section of the house) ... that it might come back to bite them with regard to the CGT implications ... but that other than that the revenue probably have bigger fish to fry.
Yeah, that's pretty much it afaik.

Back