Application to Probate Office

coolhandluke

Can you check if a solicitor has lodged an application for Probate ?

If you ring the probate office a recorded message says they do not do application enquiries over the phone.

I am a beneficiary of a parents will, the Executor is a relative and has had a few issues with solicitor already, the solicitor appears to be a real messer.

He seems to be dragging out the whole process unnecessarily.

1. Ask the executor what is happening.
2. If he does not know, ask him to write a letter to the solicitor asking for confirmation as to when the Probate application was lodged.
3. The solicitor is not employed by you but you could write your own letter to him and ask the same question.
4. You could ask your own solicitor to contact the Estate solicitor.

It is currently taking at least 16 weeks for Probate to be granted from date of lodgment of final papers.

For what its worth, many clients regard as messing, by the solicitor, what is necessary. I have many clients who would prefer if I never asked a hard question or required them to do the substantial leg work , that they themselves have to do, involved in their case.

mf

Our solicitor lodged an application to the Probate Office in September. It was all a very straight forward issue for them to deal with but we still had to wait until March for it all to be dealt with. Your solicitor may not be drag gin their heels at all.

I don't have a problem with the length of time at the probate office, i'm just wondering can i check if the solicitor has actually lodged the application ?

According to the executor, they have had to push the solicitor to get each step completed for what is a relatively simple probate, paperwork issued by the solicitor has been incorrect.
The executor is a retired professional who would be well used to legals and not impressed with the solicitor at all.

If it is gone to the probate office, then i can wait knowing i will never have to deal with solicitor again !

Is it an option to change solicitor? I can' t really understand why the executor is sticking with this one if they are well used to legals.

mf

Why does it cost nearly 1000 euro, for solicitor to get probate sorted out for me .its not a complicated application, its to do with shares in America in my husbands name , could I have done it myself . Thank's

Last edited:
Cathed- could you have done it yourself? Well, could you? And if so, why didnt you?

Hi my mam passed away last July 2014 two weeks later I received a letter from solicitors saying I was left some money by my mam but I've heard nothing since from solicitors any ideas please last I heard that it was in bloody probate

Why did you not contact the solicitor until now? He/she is the person you need to contact!

[QUOTwon't give me any info it's in probate oel o sullivan, post: 1433615, member: 91915"]Hi my mam passed away last July 2014 two weeks later I received a letter from solicitors saying I was left some money by my mam but I've heard nothing since from solicitors any ideas please last I heard that it was in bloody probate[/QUOTE]
Why did you not contact the solicitor until now? He/she is the person you need to contact!
They wont give me any info it's in probate or in the courts is all I know

You're not giving enough information.

The solicitors are representing the executor. Who is the executor? Can you ask them what is happening?

Can you sit down and think it through and then re-post? Is it the case that you are out of touch with your family?

mf

[QUbrother E="mf1, post: 1433625, member: 110"]You're not giving enough information.

The solicitors are representing the executor. Who is the executor? Can you ask them what is happening?

Can you sit down and think it through and then re-post? Is it the case that you are out of touch with your family?

mf[/QUOTE]
My br

[QUbrother TE="Noel o sullivan, post: 1433630, member: 91915"][QUbrother E="mf1, post: 1433625, member: 110"]You're not giving enough information.

mf[/QUOTE]
My br[/QUOTE]
My brother is the exetour whom I don't get on with im just inquiring does it take nearly a year now to sort out

"does it take nearly a year now to sort out"

Yes, it can. It can be a fine line between waiting for news and feeling you're not being told the whole story. Can you ask another member of the family to find out what is happening?

Mostly, things are fine and its just bad blood muddying the waters.
I often find with people contacting me that the whole way of approaching everything is different for everyone.
I have people who start the conversation with:
I don't mean to be awkward ................for which read ( Actually they do.)
Please don't take this the wrong way....for which read ( I am about to be hugely offensive)
No offence but ...............see above
Is there any actual need for ( insert).............for which read - you're kidding, you mean I'm supposed to do something? You don't do everything?
I look forward to clarification on this point.......for which read - no, I don't like what you're telling me and I'm going to put up massive resistance until you tell me only what I want to hear.

best is to ask nicely

mf

When are a beneficiary's PPS no.'s required for a probate application ?

Depends on amount of benefit. If it comes within CAT blanket, their names, addresses and PPS numbers have to be set out in the Inland Revenue Affidavit which goes into the Probate Office at the start of the Probate process with the other paperwork.

mf

Depends on amount of benefit. If it comes within CAT blanket, their names, addresses and PPS numbers have to be set out in the Inland Revenue Affidavit which goes into the Probate Office at the start of the Probate process with the other paperwork.

mf

Thank you mf1, i have an awful feeling i have been strung along for the last 12 months, and nothing has actually been done.

Back