Appeal penalty points

dustie

Bit of a complicated story but here goes. My brother was stopped by a garda at a checkpoint for tax and insurance check, everything ok. Then another garda car comes along and accuses him and another driver of racing from one town to another. Apparently this garda had been getting petrol in a service station in town A and came on the checkpoint in town B and saw the two cars.
My brother had attempted to overtake the other car (he didnt know the guy) but the other car had speed up and took off. However this guy must have pulled in later on as he was behind my brother when they arrived in town B (thus proving the garda's assertion apparently).

I dont know what exactly went on but he took the details and said he was going to give him points for dangerous driving and racing. My bro said no way that he wasnt and kicked up a bit of fuss. The garda got a bit thick and took out a tape measure and measured his licence plates and said they were too small and he was going to fine him €1200 if he didnt 'take' the points.
My brother said he wasnt going to take the points and that if the plates were too small it was only just as they had passed the NCT.

Penalty points for dangerous driving arrived in post yesterday. Just wondering why garda was saying he had to accept the points and they then arrived regardless? Also anyone been through the appeals/court process. My brother's so annoyed that he'd rather pay more to a solicitor than the fine. Just wondering how wise this is.

Back