Apartment insurance excess - who pays

technotastic

Hi,

I had a burst pipe last year in my apartment which caused damage to the apartment and required the floor to be drilled up to correct. After much arguing with the managing agents for the management company, it turns out that this was covered all along by the buildings insurance (i.e. through the management company). I had to pay for the materials for the repair of the pipe (a total of about 150 euros out of a claim of 5500 euros).

The problem is now that the excess (800 euros), the managment agent are telling me is up to me to pay and not the management company. Now, I'd be ok with this if I believed it to be true, fact is, I don't believe a word they say due to past experiences with them.

Now technically, the management company "owns" the area that work was done and have been proved to be liable (by virtue of the fact that the building insurance covered the claim).

Does anyone know who should pay the excess?

Thanks

from what i can see they pay the excess since the buildings is a collective policy in the name of the management company. This insurance is included in your management fees each year.

I have asked to see a copy of the buildings insurance from the management agent and I'm still waiting (I requested this in October last year originally and have persisted since).

normally. policyholder pays the excess, therefore on this logic, management company pay it.

In which case it would presumably come out of the management company's sinking fund and if that was insufficient then the company might have to borrow or levy the householders/company member-shareholders?

To avoid the usual common confusion bear in mind that the management company and agent are different entities. The former is owned/run by the householders (in most cases) and the latter is simply a service provider who may be engaged by the management company to take care of day to day management issues.

Back