Anyone know a nice coastal/lakeside town to relocate family to?

As another poster said, I've always found Carrick-on-Shannon to be a nice place. Lively enough during the good weather and an 'arty' feel to it - if that's what you're into.

Daveco23- We had looked at north wicklow and it is nice, but very expensive.
We are wondering :
1. Is it worth the money? Bad value..?
2. Will it really bring a more relaxed lifestyle..
3. Will the new harbour at Greystones looks like it will really take the nice village feel from there..

1 - I don`t think its bad value - especially at the moment - prices are tumbling down, buildwise I have had no problems with the quality.
2 - re lifestyle, since moving from dublin 3 years ago i have had no complaints - Better Prettier half is of the opinion I am much nicer to live with since we moved!
3 - There was a massive debate on boards.ie over this and what it would do to the village - personally I think it will improve it. wrt village atmosphere, this will change in part thanks to the marina, but also the shopping centre, pool, etc that are in the works.

Hi there

We have been seriously looking at Ballymoney in Wexford.

It's lovely there, on the beach about 5kms from Gorey, less then an hour from South Dublin- and apparantly it's the hottest place in Ireland..unfortunately we have had to delay our plans due to the state of the housing market. So any other suggestions still welcome!!

Thanks again to everyone for their help! :)

Im still for dungarvan what with being from there,with the new road due to be finished in the next 2 yrs you could do Dublin in just over two hours. I think everyone is i the same boat the ay the market is these days. Best of luck and keep us posted.(no pun intended)

Somebody mentioned Ballina, think they meant Ballina in Tipperary. What about Ballina in County Mayo. Build on the river moy, 5 miles to Enniscrone beach, about 8 miles to Ross beach (both blue flag beaches). Good schools both national and secondary in region. Not a bad town for work, coke factory, gov offices etc. Castlebar is 1/2 drive away, Sligo about 45 minutes. Houses are cheap in comparison to other places. Friendly enough people.

Abbeyleix co, Laois, i'm sure there are lakes near by, everytime i pass through it strikes me as one of the prettiest towns in the country and pretty central

Hi

I saw an ad for some houses in Cahore, North Wexford today. Does anyone know it?

I'm in Abbeyleix in 2 weeks, will check it out as I'm there..

Hi there
I think you should look at Spanish Point in Co Clare -miles of beach friendly people and grat schools. Good Luck

If you move a little further south to North Wexford, you'll find an area called Riverchapel which is just off the N11 (the new Gorey bypass), 5K from the thriving town of Gorey and 1K from the sandy beach at Courtown. Plenty of reasonably priced houses, both new and old, in the area - current market conditions mean a good-sized 3 bed home can be purchased for less than €200K. It only takes an hour to get to Dublin. Plenty of schools around (local National school doubled in size in the last year), 2nd level schools in Gorey. Loads of shops, restaurants, boutiques etc. - Gorey has a major Dunnes Stores, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and Supervalue - you can't go wrong with that choice. It also has more quality boutiques than any other small town in Ireland. 2 major hotels, with leisure centres including swimming pools, large leisure centre in Courtown. Spoiled for choice and only an hour from Dublin! Good luck with the hunt for pastures new.

Cong has been mentioned a lot and is a beautiful place. I myself would definitely recommend Sligo, some great schools too!

loughrea in Galway - nice walks around the lake, or look at the small towns on the banks of the Barrow and Nore. I agree Abbeyleix is also a really nice spot.

What about Lovely Dundalk - Ireland's tidiest town last year - at the foothills of the wonderful Cooley mountains with many magical trails - head for Carlingford for gourmet or sailing at the weekends - Blackrock just outside Dundalk is quite a nice community and a nice little sea front. Plenty of Government / Civil service offices / DKIT and bustling market town. And if u want cheap food it's only 15 mins drive to Newry..... Daily trains to Dublin.. 45 mins to Airport.

Has a bit of a bad name but IMO this is not deserved...

Consider Blackrock for a suburban village feel by the sea with a short drive to a big town with many good schools. Grammar / Louis / Marist / CBS - Gael Scoil and many shops etc....

what about duncannon couty wexford, lovely seaside village.

30 minute drive to wexford town.
or you can take the car ferry from ballyhack to passage east and be in waterford city in 40 minutues.

Oughterard Co. Galway is 30-40 mins drive to Galway city
It is right on the doorstep to all of Connemara for those Sunday drives .
Very sleepy quiet village, but with the benefit of all Galway city has to offer.
It has good national, secondary schools.

Moycullen is the next village over and is even nearer to Galway city.5-10 mins drive.
There are some great deals and choices on luxury houses in around Moycullen area at the moment and should increase in value even more once this property slump turns around. Really nice location.

Both towns are near Lough Corrib.
Also check out Barna/Furbo on the coast road outside Galway city.

Its not a m illion miles out of Dublin but Rush or Skerries is a great area. Skerries probably better over Rush but both seaside towns.

Living in Rush the last year an love it. Choice of two beaches. Have the north beach only 2 min walk (and I mean that) from my house. Pleanty of local farming and does not feel like a surburban area at all.

Plenty of amenities in the village, but Skerries has a lot more. Fantastic Restaurant and bars, social aspect in Skerries too.

Prices are very reasonable for having beach loaction, and surrounded by greenery. (Front of house looks onto local farmers land)

very good schools. 20 mins from Malahide, 40 mins from town but as I said it feels like you are in the counrty ;)

Cong is lovely, but too small for anyone who is worried about everyone knowng their business.
Sligo is a nice size, some good old style family shops but also the big names. Close to beaches, surfing, lakes, golf, all that stuff.
Carrick on Shannon has been destroyed by over development, quite a few shops in the town closing down because of the retail parks. Loads of empty houses and apartments, also a lot of trouble on the streets at weekends.
Mullingar is good, close to two lakes and on the canal. Nice walks etc, and near to Dublin. All the shops and amenities anyone would ever need.

Have lived in Charlesland, Greystones for the last 3 years and love it - Has everything. great for families and prices tumbling down recently so have a look around

Not sure about that one have lived in Dublin most of my life moved to the West but cant say it's any wetter than Dublin, as far as i can see the whole country is one big shower dont think the suns been splitting the rocks in Dublin this year either.

Back