Anyone been to Rhodes?

• Thread starter decembersally
  • Start date
D

decembersally

Hi Guys,

Anyone been to Rhodes on holidays? Any good places / resorts to recommend?

Thanks in advance, Sally

Yes, must be 6 or 7 years since I have been in Rhodes. I am sure there is lots to do but I remember the The Butterfly Valley only about 10 km from the city of Rhodes is well worht a visit.

Jamie.

Rhodes

Spent a week in Rhodes last Summer and enjoyed it. Stayed in Kremasti which is about a 15 min drive from Rhodes town. It's pretty quiet there and quite residential but Rhodes Town is very easy to get to by taxi and it's very lively at night.
I didn't make it to Faliraki but I heard it's the place to go if you're looking for an "Ibiza uncovered" type of holiday.

Would recommend the boat trip to Simi (smaller island about 2 hours from Rhodes). Beautiful scenery and fantastic monastery which is in the most spectacular setting. Also thought the trip to Lindos was very interesting and apparently it's one of the most important archaeological sites in Greece. Lovely beach there as well.

Re: Rhodes

was theer a few years ago for a week, and loved it. The place is beautiful. Clear blue water and skies.

As for where to stay, Faliraki and the area around there are very much package holidays and for the people who want to party and get drunk. If you want a more relaxing stay then definetly Rhodes town is the place to go, or aat least somewhere very close by ( preferably on the northern coast of the island , as there you will get a sea breeze, whereas on the southern coast there is not much of a breeze and it is much hotter ). Rhodes town is a UN protected area, as the town is so historical. The old town is actually a caste with walls all around the town, which are still there, and the moats are now made into gardens etc. There is no traffic allowed within the town walls , so it is very peacefull ( if you ignore the crowds of tourists and the groups off the cruise ships ).

Lindos is really nice as well, and definetly well worth a visit. If you are really into history then there is also an old Greek ( or maybe it is from Roman times ) stadium up in hills behind Rhodes, which is worth seeing ( and also for the views ). It is literally in the middle of a field, but is very impresive all the same.

I have to say we did not do much else in the way of sightseeing, as there was plenty to do in Rhodes town for most of the week.

rhodes

20 years ago, and can still remember the heat. Stayed in Rhodes town on the side away from the harbour. near a hill called monte smith or something like that.Can still remember getting into sea to cool down!! There was this bar just off the beach and he wouldn't take any money for drinks etc. Said we could pay before leaving. We did pay on the last day. Bet that does not happen anymore! Lots of Swedes there then, Lindos was beautiful ( and hot) Have a ball!!

Back