Any provisional drivers caught yet?

Posters seem to be complaining because they're not allowed to break the law any more! This country is crazy!

Did you ever drive unacompanied on a provisional? If so you havnt a leg to stand on. Law was fine to break while it suited you but now your qualified you couldnt give a toss about others.

This means he has been deemed unqualified to drive!!!!! Where is the argument??? He's proven to a tester "several times" that he is unfit to drive. Geez people....
another high horse
Did you ever drive unaccompanied before you got your full licence?

Did you ever drive unaccompanied before you got your full licence?

Absolutly never. I did my driving in the UK as a youngster and you dont' break the law regarding this. And less of the high horse Slaphead please. If people fail their test several times why on earth should they be allowed drive alone for crying out loud.
I give up.

He has failed it SEVERAL TIMES, you are just strengthening the arguement that learner drivers should not be on the road without a fully licenced driver. If someone fails several times he is obviously doing something wrong and a danger to himself and other road users, you say he likes to see his family, what if he was to kill himself or others because he is a danger on the road?? Anyone who gets driving lessons from a good instructor WILL pass the driving test, and if they fail they do not belong on the road, simple as. Driving laws are there for the safety of all and must be obeyed by all, not just obey them if they are convenient.

I know ppl who passed first time who cant drive, and i mean wouldnt dream of looking over their shoulder when changing lane. Passing the test seems to be a chance things some times.

Absolutly never. I did my driving in the UK as a youngster and you dont' break the law regarding this. And less of the high horse Slaphead please. If people fail their test several times why on earth should they be allowed drive alone for crying out loud.
I give up.

Question applies to ppl who learned in Ireland. Anyone who has should show a bit of compassion to ppl who are in difficulties because of this.

Question applies to ppl who learned in Ireland. Anyone who has should show a bit of compassion to ppl who are in difficulties because of this.

Why? Its been known for a long time now that this change was coming in, if someone keeps failing then they shouldnt be on the road anyway so why compassion?

I know ppl who passed first time who cant drive, and i mean wouldnt dream of looking over their shoulder when changing lane. Passing the test seems to be a chance things some times.

I've given up on this debate now too! This is a new area now - the compotence of testers.

This means he has been deemed unqualified to drive!!!!! Where is the argument??? He's proven to a tester "several times" that he is unfit to drive. Geez people....

Then we get into the question of how practical is the test...

I park my car every day , not on the test.... it's been many years since I passed my test and I haven't reversed around a corner since the day of the test...

I've given up on this debate now too! This is a new area now - the compotence of testers.

Its relevant, should ppl be grounded at home because perhaps a tester has an off day and vice versa? Some people seem to think that a driving licence means or guarantees that your a good or safe driver, far from it.
One good thing with this law is that accidents wont automatically get blambed on learners any more.

Its relevant, should ppl be grounded at home because perhaps a tester has an off day and vice versa? Some people seem to think that a driving licence means or guarantees that your a good or safe driver, far from it.
One good thing with this law is that accidents wont automatically get blambed on learners any more.

You've got to have some sort of testing scheme though. If you don't have people testing, what do you recommend?

Then we get into the question of how practical is the test...

I park my car every day , not on the test.... it's been many years since I passed my test and I haven't reversed around a corner since the day of the test...

The reversing around the corner - is not solely for the purpose of ascertaining your ability to reverse around a corner. It is to evaluate your overall control of the vehicle in challenging circumstances! For exampl - they can't simulate an accident and although this also doesn't simulate an accident it does measure your control and ability.

I'm reamed by the law, but it's long overdue, and in line with other countries. I know we can't have everything at once, like. We need the infrastructure, but we also need the law.

The reversing around the corner - is not solely for the purpose of ascertaining your ability to reverse around a corner. It is to evaluate your overall control of the vehicle in challenging circumstances! For exampl - they can't simulate an accident and although this also doesn't simulate an accident it does measure your control and ability.

I thought it was also to simulate reversing into or out of a parking spot.

Did you ever drive unacompanied on a provisional? If so you havnt a leg to stand on. Law was fine to break while it suited you but now your qualified you couldnt give a toss about others.

I never ever ever drove unaccompanied until I had my full licence. I don't want a medal for this, but it would appear that I now have two fine legs to stand on!

As for giving a toss about others, what on earth are you talking about?! You cannot ask me to condone unlawful driving. I don't want to be on the road with users who can't drive and have been deemed unsafe to drive alone. I don't believe that's an unreasonable stance to take.

I think I'm done. This thread is getting ridiculous. Can't someone close it down?

I never ever ever drove unaccompanied until I had my full licence. I don't want a medal for this, but it would appear that I now have two fine legs to stand on!

As for giving a toss about others, what on earth are you talking about?! You cannot ask me to condone unlawful driving. I don't want to be on the road with users who can't drive and have been deemed unsafe to drive alone. I don't believe that's an unreasonable stance to take.
I think I'm done. This thread is getting ridiculous. Can't someone close it down?

Did you really learn to drive in Ireland and never drive alone!Have you ever held a phone in your hand while driving, went a fraction over the limit? Were all law breakers to some degree.
You want a thread closed because your being wobbled off your high horse.

Slaphead, Would you get on a plane with a pilot that could obviously make it fly and get you to where you wanted to go but for some reason or other he didn't pass his test???
I think not.
If forced into finding alternitive methods of travel people will find them, humans are very resourceful....... Why can't someone cycle the 10 or so miles to work. And if their job is dependant on driving there, well they have no other choice but to pass the test, spend his €1000 he saved for the fine on driving lessons.

Planes are slightly different. For the record i would like it to be a requirement to have a full pilots licence for anyone isolated in the country and planning on flying to work.
Have you tried cycling in this county? With all the legal drivers flying around?

I agree - maybe no more posts unless there is some infor from those / about those that have been stopped by the guards and the outcomes.

Did you really learn to drive in Ireland and never drive alone!Have you ever held a phone in your hand while driving, went a fraction over the limit? Were all law breakers to some degree.
Slaphead, your arguments are becoming less and less relevant. Holding a phone in your hand is against the law and people are 'done' for this, breaking the limit is against the law and again people are punished by law, so why should breaking the law regarding 'L' drivers require a different stance. You are actually arguing against yourself.

We can't continue to blame other reasons for our 'bending' of the rules. I bend them myself but if I'm caught I'm caught with only myself to blame, I don't think 'L' drivers can realistically expect any sympathy anymore especially when they are continually failing tests or worse again not even applying for tests.

Thanks, Slaphead - you just made me laugh out loud! Yeah, you're probably right. I've gone over 50kph in a 50 zone. I've taken one hand off the steering wheel when both should have been at the 10-2 position. I've had an issue involving my blind spot. I've probably squeezed an orange light in my time. But I do have a hands-free phone kit, so, IN YOUR FACE!!!!

In fairness, though, the Gardai should probably kick me off the road and let all the learners loose. I just don't know what I was thinking!

And what's with the high horse thing? You've got a bit of an equine buzz going on there, eh?! Ah, I'm just teasing. But I am done.

Good luck with your tests, people!

Back