Any opinions? Honda Civic 2.2Diesel? Or Civic 1.8S?

MandaC

Any opinions? Honda Civic 2.2Diesel? Or Civic 1.8S

I hated the Civic when it first came out, but now I really like them.

Re: Honda Civic

Don't know specifically about Civic diesels but in general, Honda diesels are some of the best around for the money.

The new Civic has divided opinion somewhat. I quite like the look and it will be very reliable, but there have been a few questions raised about ride quality.

I hate any hatches that provide poor rear view - this Civic looks like one of them to me but I haven't driven one.

The 2.2 diesel has the same engine as my Accord and it's simply superb. It would get my vote over the petrol any day.

Civic is said to be noisier than the Accord (both in terms of engine noise and road noise. Civic diesel is expensive compared with rivals. It is well equipped though. There are reliability issues with the Honda diesels (see www.honestjohn.co.uk).

Honda petrols are renowned for reliability but there was something about expensive servicing on the current model (to do with checking the valve clearances necessitating the removal of the inlet manifold). Then there's the blindspots.

If you really like the car then these are issues on which you can compromise. If you're buying a Honda for other reasons then read this carefully:
[broken link removed]

I think that it looks great - I'd interpret the other issues according to your needs and use of the car.

The Civic Hatchback is built in Swindon in the UK

The Civic saloon is built in Japan or Thailand a very much different car, unlike e.g. the VW Jetta (a Golf with a boot attached) unfortunately it comes in a petrol version only, a very good 1.8L

Try driving the 1.8L Civic Saloon it is IMO a much better drive that has typical Japanese engineering quality unlike IMO the British built Civic Hatchback that is at least a notch beneath it in build quality and performance

Depends if you want to buy new or not. You would be better off waiting for the new 2.0 TDI 140hp common rail golf. It will have better emissions than the Civic and is a very good engine as my brother has it in his new A4. It's far from the tractor TDI's in all the current golf's. The civic is pretty expensive where as you would be better off getting the Golf because of the new engines and the fact it's a new model. Also it will hold it's value much better than the civic. The golf is supposed to be much more refined also. I would rather the 2.0TDi Dsg anyday as the dsg box is superb!

Depends if you want to buy new or not. You would be better off waiting for the new 2.0 TDI 140hp common rail golf. It will have better emissions than the Civic and is a very good engine as my brother has it in his new A4. It's far from the tractor TDI's in all the current golf's. The civic is pretty expensive where as you would be better off getting the Golf because of the new engines and the fact it's a new model. Also it will hold it's value much better than the civic. The golf is supposed to be much more refined also. I would rather the 2.0TDi Dsg anyday as the dsg box is superb!

We already have a VW Golf 2.0 GT SPORT TDI DSG 170 BHP(my other half) It is a nice car, but I dont want two Golfs in the house.

We already have a VW Golf 2.0 GT SPORT TDI DSG 170 BHP(my other half) It is a nice car, but I dont want two Golfs in the house.

lol yeah I can understand that. The dsg is great! Would love to drive the 170. Is it thirsty? Would you not import a 2.0 TDCI focus? As you can't get the 2.0 in Ireland! But the focus is supposed to be a great car to drive + bigger than the honda. The honda looks a lot nicer than the focus though!

lol yeah I can understand that. The dsg is great! Would love to drive the 170. Is it thirsty? Would you not import a 2.0 TDCI focus? As you can't get the 2.0 in Ireland! But the focus is supposed to be a great car to drive + bigger than the honda. The honda looks a lot nicer than the focus though!

I am only allowed to drive it on special occassions! The rest of the time, you cant even look at it. This came from NI as I dont think you could get the 170BHP here at the time. Lovely to drive, very, very fast though. And very heavy on diesel.

Like the looks of the honda as it is very different and that's why I am asking about the diesel version. Do not like the focus in general at all.

I am only allowed to drive it on special occassions! The rest of the time, you cant even look at it. This came from NI as I dont think you could get the 170BHP here at the time. Lovely to drive, very, very fast though. And very heavy on diesel.

Like the looks of the honda as it is very different and that's why I am asking about the diesel version. Do not like the focus in general at all.

lol does he love the car more than you? lol I didn't think it would be that hard on diesel but I guess you don't drive a car like that with a light foot ;-) The civic I believe has a very hard suspension which on our roads would drive me insane! Where as the focus is supposed to have a firm but comfortable suspension more so than the civic. I think the new focus is not so bad. Are you looking to buy new?

Back