Any good Christmas movies/series recommendations

I did enjoy the Beckham documentary but not sure if I would bother with the Robbie Williams one but I have heard others say it was good.

I did put off watching KIN for a long time but it was good when I eventually got around to it on The Player.

I do enjoy Tommy Tiernan's chat show so you could maybe watch it on The Player. I particularly enjoyed the interview with the brain surgeon who operates on people while they are awake and on one woman who sang through the operation. I think he said he's in a rock band too :)

I always enjoy watching Forrest Gump or The Green Mile, any film with Tom is good :)

The artist and the wall of death is very watchable. My other half never watches telly but he put the laptop aside 20 minutes into this and was glued. Its on RTE player

Thanks for the recommendation, it was very good, although I had to take regular breaks because what happened those people was so outrageous and infuriating!

Me too, I'm still in shock at the extent of what they got away with and to think that the CEO was a religious minister. How did they sleep at night :(
There could have been up to 4 suicides and many lives ruined. Management appear to have received performance bonuses also and to think that she got a CBE :(

Another programme that's worth watching is 24 Hours in police custody on Channel 4. Very interesting to see how things are investigated and how they pan out.

There's the 2nd episode of a 2 part one on tonight @ 9 p.m. Pity we can't watch the Player for U.K. stations :(

Another programme that's worth watching is 24 Hours in police custody on Channel 4. Very interesting to see how things are investigated and how they pan out.

There's the 2nd episode of a 2 part one on tonight @ 9 p.m. Pity we can't watch the Player for U.K. stations :(
Always fascinating, if only to look at the amount of UK police with tattoos (given what happened in the Gardai last year here) and the big copper last night with a mohican !

Depressing sometimes watching how some people waste their lives over little or nothing

Depressing sometimes watching how some people waste their lives over little or nothing

Especially with last night's one where it appeared to be a fight over a woman, as usual :(

They gave the two poor guys a terrible death. The drink and drugs as usual appeared to play a large part in it too. Sad to hear the police mention in the past that quite often these hard guys cry hard when they are in their cells alone. So many sad cases too where just one punch thrown and a hard knock to concrete caused the death. When will they ever learn.

Mrs C and myself watched Saltburn on Christmas night, a real classic family movie perfect for when all the family are around ;)

If anyone else watched it can you tell me what happened exactly when they said she had left the job and they rang her phone which had a recording to say that she had left. Later in the programme she surfaced again to what appeared to be the same job? :confused:

It was great to see the whistleblower who came forward.

If anyone else watched it can you tell me what happened exactly when they said she had left the job and they rang her phone which had a recording to say that she had left. Later in the programme she surfaced again to what appeared to be the same job? :confused:

It was great to see the whistleblower who came forward.
That wasn't her. It was someone else. Can't remember who, think the actor had dark hair.

See she has agreed to hand back her CBE today but until Charles does something about it it is seen as a token gesture by the postmasters.

Hand back her bonuses, lock her up and throw away the key would be more like it :mad:
Matt Cooper covered this last night. I didn't realise that the Post Office had it's own investigators and has the power to initiate prosecutions without referring the matter to the police. Quite scary.

That wasn't her. It was someone else. Can't remember who, think the actor had dark hair.

Ah, thanks for that as it was annoying me that I could not keep up. I found that you had to watch carefully because they were up to so many tricks that one could easily be missed :mad:

Matt Cooper covered this last night. I didn't realise that the Post Office had it's own investigators and has the power to initiate prosecutions without referring the matter to the police. Quite scary.

Yes, they were a law unto themselves. Judge and Jury.

The more you think about it they were taking the postmaster's money knowing full well that their system was wrong and they did not actually owe the money. Anyone else would be guilty of stealing if they did that so why has no one been held accountable in the post office? Have read though that there is also current a police investigation taking place so perhaps that will address this.

I've been following this for the last 20 years or so starting with the reports that appeared in Computer Weekly.

One of the more startling aspects of the entire debacle is that staff members of the software vendor, ICL/Fujitsu, had access to the transaction data and masterfiles of the Post Office branches and they could add/delete and modify records in live data files, increasing or decreasing the balances for which the postmasters/mistresses had ultimate responsibility. Exactly as if a maintenance technician in a bank branch could edit the value of a deposit or delete a cheque presented for clearance.

I busted a gut laughing when a BBC presenter on one of the earlier programmes was introducing ICL and said they were a computer company, "very like IBM". Having experience of both, I can state that ICL was nothing like IBM. My first summer job from school was to help take the manual Kardex system inventory files from a motor distributor's offices to ICL on Adelaide Road and have them punched onto 80-column cards at the start of the computerisation of their records in the late '60s, 1960s that is before we get the smarty-pants comments.

Back