Laya Any good alternative anywhere to Total Health Select?

Estelle

I already have Total Health Select. It's up for renwal soon but seems it's 500 more expensive than last year. I do have a health issue so it's very important to me to have good hospital coverage including a private room in a private hospital and some access to hi-tech hospitals. Money back on GP and consultant fees are also very important to me. If anyone could offer any help I'd be very grateful. Thank you.

Hi Estelle,

There are a few alternative options with Laya, that tick all the boxes, but they all have a hospital excess of 150 per admission, for a private hospital.
1. Connectcare 150;
2. Control 150 Create;
3. Control 150 Secure;
[broken link removed]

There is also a new Laya plan called 'Complete Simplicity' launching on 1 December 2015 which costs 1380pa.
This also ticks all the boxes, but the difference with this plan is that the hospital excess 100 is only payable for 2 admissions to a private hospital
per year. Any extra private admissions are free. So the max hospital excess payable per year is 200.
This can be viewed properly in detail on the Health Insurance Authority website from 1 Dec 2015.
http://www.hia.ie/news/laya-healthcare-release-6-new-plans-01122015

The above 3 options all have similar hospital cover, so the price difference relates to the outpatient day to day cover.
The 150 hospital excess, on these 3 plans, applies to each private hospital admission.

Regards, Snowyb

Estelle,
I also have that policy which will renew on January 1st. Laya are quoting me €400 extra or €800 per couple. That's over 25% dearer than last year.
Snowyb, thanks again for your invaluable insight into these policies.

The 6 new Laya plans launching on 1 December 2015 look interesting but it would be worth waiting to see them properly in detail on 1/12/2015 on www.hia.ie before deciding. Its unclear what hi-tech cover is included at this stage.

Those renewing on 1 January 2016, there may be more changes in early december with all providers relating to 1 January 2016. Hopefully no last minute sneaky price increases.

Snowyb

Snowyb I do not know how to thank you enough, I never expected anything so comprehensive and so very helpful. That's made things much much easier. I am ill at the moment so this has been an arduous task and I've been totally lost trying to find plans! I think one of those policies will suit my needs, maybe the cheapest which would save me 700 euro! I will wait until the start of Dec to decide for sure though on your advice. Again, thank you a million.

You're very welcome, Estelle, hope you are feeling better soon.

The Total Health Select plan was reduced in price last year to a real bargain price, so it wasn't going to stay at that price level for too long.
It was good while it lasted but the other alternative options have similar hospital cover, at much lower prices, if the private hospital excess doesn't cause a problem. The savings achieved will help towards paying some day to day medical expenses and so on.

All the best,
Snowyb

Hi guys,

Just an update on the current position re alternatives to Laya Total Health Select, all options include cover for a private room in a private
hospital.

The following 3 plans from the Laya Simplicity range are well worth considering;
The hospital cover in these 3 plans is identical, no difference at all.
The only 2 differences relate to outpatient cover, mainly excess 100, 50 or 1, also secondly is price 1048, 1250, and 1380.
Details as follows;
1. Simplicity plan; price 1048pa,
2. Ideal Simplicity plan; price 1250pa.
3. Complete Simplicity plan; price 1380pa.

The above 3 plans all have a 100 euro excess for just 2 admissions to a private or hi-tech hospital. So the maximum inpatient excess per year
is 100 x 2 = 200, for a semi-private or private room. Day case excess is 50 euro per visit to a private or hi-tech hospital.

[broken link removed]

Here is the comparison link for the other 3 alternatives quoted in post 2.
1. Connectcare 150; price 1186pa
2. Control 150 Create; price 1211pa
3. Control 150 Secure; price 1386pa

[broken link removed]

Plenty of savings to be achieved without compromising on cover. The 3 Simplicity plans will stay at the above prices for at least two months
December and January.

Regards, Snowyb

Some great suggestions there Snowyb. My parents have a medical card so not bothered about day to day expenses but worried about getting hit with lots of 100e excess charges for hospital visits. They are currently on Total Health Select for its no excess feature, but by switching to Laya Simplicity they could save €1600 euros from which they can set €500 aside to cover possible excesses & consultant fees (50% with Simplicity v 100% with Total Health Select).

Hi guys,

Just an update on the current position re alternatives to Laya Total Health Select, all options include cover for a private room in a private
hospital.

The following 3 plans from the Laya Simplicity range are well worth considering;
The hospital cover in these 3 plans is identical, no difference at all.
The only 2 differences relate to outpatient cover, mainly excess 100, 50 or 1, also secondly is price 1048, 1250, and 1380.
Details as follows;
1. Simplicity plan; price 1048pa,
2. Ideal Simplicity plan; price 1250pa.
3. Complete Simplicity plan; price 1380pa.

The above 3 plans all have a 100 euro excess for just 2 admissions to a private or hi-tech hospital. So the maximum inpatient excess per year
is 100 x 2 = 200, for a semi-private or private room. Day case excess is 50 euro per visit to a private or hi-tech hospital.

[broken link removed]

Here is the comparison link for the other 3 alternatives quoted in post 2.
1. Connectcare 150; price 1186pa
2. Control 150 Create; price 1211pa
3. Control 150 Secure; price 1386pa

[broken link removed]

Plenty of savings to be achieved without compromising on cover. The 3 Simplicity plans will stay at the above prices for at least two months
December and January.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks again Snowyb... Looks like I to will be changing to one of the Simplicity policies

Thanks again Snowyb... Looks like I to will be changing to one of the Simplicity policies
Hi All,

I, too had a Total Health Select policy from Laya which is now up for renewal. Due to the helpful advice from Snowbyb, I think now I have narrowed it down to theses two plans... Laya simplicity at 1049pa or Simply Connect plus @ €1099 pa, per person. We are a couple.

The difference between the two plans mainly seems to be with Simplicity, cover is for private room in a private hospital or semi on the other plan.
There is only an excess of €1 on the Simply Connect plan as opposed to €200 (family) excess on the Simplicity plan.

My question is... I have served one year of a 2 year notice period for the upgrade to private room in a private hospital(Total Health Select). Is it worth in your opinion forfeiting this to have a lower out patient excess on everyday medical expenses?

My husband and I are not regular doctor attenders anymore than normal. Dental expenses payback etc.. probably would be useful but not really a deal breaker, either.
I can understand that this might be an impossible question for you to answer. I just would not wish to jeopardise the private room in a private hospital for the sake of a few other expenses. I suppose the other side of it is, would we ever need (hopefully not) the private facilities?

Thank you for your input and advice, Snowyb and all.

Last edited:
igora,

To answer your question, it is probably not worth forfeiting the private room in a private hospital for a 1 euro excess on everyday medical expenses.
Especially, as you say that you are not regular doctor attenders. The private room cover is a lot more valuable - ie if you were to pay the difference
in cash, it would cost 300+ extra per night for a private room. In saying that, a private room is never guaranteed in any private hospital, but it has its advantages if one were available when needed, own bathroom, etc.
Some people prefer company and the activity of a busy ward, depending on the surgery involved, a private room might be a welcome perk for many reasons. At this stage, the way things are going, I think people are just glad to get a bed and a reasonable date to be admitted.
Simplicity plan is 100 euro cheaper in price for 2 people, so it balances out overall.
Simply Connect Plus has a restricted maximum amount for everyday expenses of 500 per year. Note; this restriction of 500 also includes x-rays, ultrasounds, etc. MRI scans are not included and are covered seperately.
Simplicity plan has an upper max limit of 7650 per person per year for everyday expenses including radiology. So while the first 100 is not allowed for each person, there is no restriction otherwise.
Simplicity plan is actually a bargain at the price, including a private room in a private hospital. The nearest equivalent with VHI is 2451pa Health Choice. I'm kinda reluctant to even say that, in case it skyrockets in price next year.
Both plans are excellent value, so its a happy position to be in.

Regards, Snowyb

Snowyb, thank you so much for your advice on this forum. My Total Health Select policy is due for renewal on the 1st of February next. Following your recommendation of a switch to Simplicity, I checked the Laya site for the finer details of the policy. None of the simplicity policies are listed on the site. I then phoned Laya, they said they were not on the site as they were company policies. However they did email me a comparison between Total Health Select and Simplicity.
If it wasn't for your help most of us would have never heard of these policies.

igora,

To answer your question, it is probably not worth forfeiting the private room in a private hospital for a 1 euro excess on everyday medical expenses.
Especially, as you say that you are not regular doctor attenders. The private room cover is a lot more valuable - ie if you were to pay the difference
in cash, it would cost 300+ extra per night for a private room. In saying that, a private room is never guaranteed in any private hospital, but it has its advantages if one were available when needed, own bathroom, etc.
Some people prefer company and the activity of a busy ward, depending on the surgery involved, a private room might be a welcome perk for many reasons. At this stage, the way things are going, I think people are just glad to get a bed and a reasonable date to be admitted.
Simplicity plan is 100 euro cheaper in price for 2 people, so it balances out overall.
Simply Connect Plus has a restricted maximum amount for everyday expenses of 500 per year. Note; this restriction of 500 also includes x-rays, ultrasounds, etc. MRI scans are not included and are covered seperately.
Simplicity plan has an upper max limit of 7650 per person per year for everyday expenses including radiology. So while the first 100 is not allowed for each person, there is no restriction otherwise.
Simplicity plan is actually a bargain at the price, including a private room in a private hospital. The nearest equivalent with VHI is 2451pa Health Choice. I'm kinda reluctant to even say that, in case it skyrockets in price next year.
Both plans are excellent value, so its a happy position to be in.

Regards, Snowyb

Snowyb.. Thank You....
That was exactly the confirmation I needed. I am so bamboozled with plans etc.. I have not been thinking straight. Your advice on here is invaluable and is very much appreciated. Thanks again. (I switched to the Simplicity plan)

Thank you Snowyb for your recommendation, Ive just moved from Companycare Plus 1,831 to Simplicity 1045. Even if I end up paying the consultant fees and excess etc it will be unlikely to come up to the saving of 786. Thank you valery, when Simplicity was not on the Layas website I had assumed it was not available anymore.

Back