Another General Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course the populace want the state to be their mammy. Ireland has the same relevance in the EU as Bedfordshire. In the wash of the 1916 centenary celebrations recently lots of us think we are members of a political world force. The reality is we are an EU backwater. Sooner or later we will become a playground of the rich (look at the way we're churning out golf courses).
What's that got to do with anything, even if it's correct?

Also look at the voting population of County Kerry. It is not a county of gombeens; they know how to vote and probably have less pot-holes per capita than say Cork city where I dodge road jacuzzis every morning while driving to work. If I could vote for a Healy-Rae instead of a Martin or Coveney, I would. Isn't God on their side?
Not gombeens... maybe, but they have given two fingers to the rest of the people of Ireland by electing those two gombeens to the Dail.

How strange that the Labour party had to wait decades to see that prophecy come to fruition & then in the most unlikeliest of scenarios it was brought about by FF & FG

My father was an economist/accountant and he came out with a comment in the early eighties that has always stuck with me about the relevance of Ireland in the EU
"Ireland will become to Europe what the Aran Islands are to Ireland"

I remember that quote, and I was very impressed by it at the time. However it simply has not come to pass.

Membership of the EU has brought huge social change to Ireland. It has brought freedom of movement, to work not just holiday, to Irish people. Which has given us mobility in Europe beyond the UK. It has allowed us to attract foreign investment and the associated employment on a vast scale.

The Aran Islands still have the best scenery though.

Membership of the EU has brought huge social change to Ireland. It has brought freedom of movement, to work not just holiday, to Irish people. Which has given us mobility in Europe beyond the UK. It has allowed us to attract foreign investment and the associated employment on a vast scale.
It has also allowed us to grow the biggest airline in Europe.

I think the question is more about influencing decision-making.

I heard one economist, in discussing a possible Brexit, say that the UK has often found itself taking the same position as Ireland on various matters.

He felt that a UK departure would weaken Ireland's influence in the EU.

Well, that is rather the point!

Many EU decisions benefited Ireland only because they were also in the interest of the UK, which does have influence over decision-making.

I remember that quote, and I was very impressed by it at the time. However it simply has not come to pass.

The Aran Islands still have the best scenery though.

As far as I remember the quote was from an article in the Economist magazine and while it hasn't come to pass I think the time frame was 2020 to 2050.

I don't think anybody would disagree that we have done very well out of the EU, the freedom of movement is a double edged sword that has also seen a lot of migration for our citizens because there simply isn't enough well paying employment here.

The foreign investment you so rightly refer to is also going to be a challenge for our future governments when we wont be able to offer the generous tax breaks and associated perks that attracts them to our shores for our highly skilled and costly employees.

The Aran Islands might have the best scenery but do you really want to or could you live there, Ireland is a medium sized island on the very west side of Europe with a relatively small population and while we at the moment punch well above our weight class, sometime in the future as the EU expands we will get knocked back by our bigger brothers.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody would disagree that we haven't done very well out of the EU

I disagree with the proposition that we haven’t done very well out of the EU. There has been a massive net transfer of wealth into Ireland in the form of welfare payments to farmers via the CAP as well as structural funding for infrastructure.

, the freedom of movement is a double edged sword that has also seen a lot of migration for our citizens because there simply isn't enough well paying employment here.
Again, large numbers of people have moved here from Eastern Europe and further afield to take up low paid and high paid jobs. If people want high paid jobs then they need to be high skilled. That’s where we fall down.

The foreign investment you so rightly refer to is also going to be a challenge for our future governments when we wont be able to offer the generous tax breaks and associated perks that attracts them to our shores for our highly skilled and costly employees.
Yes, we might actually have to compete based on skills, efficiency and value. How will we cope!

The Aran Islands might have the best scenery but do you really want to or could you live there, Ireland is a medium sized island on the very west side of Europe with a relatively small population and while we at the moment punch well above our weight class, sometime in the future as the EU expands we will get knocked back by our bigger brothers.
We are a small island of the coast of another island off the coast of Europe. As more people get the opportunities we have the world becomes a fairer and more equitable place. That is a good thing. I dislike protectionism as it involved the exploitation of those not being protected.

I disagree with the proposition that we haven’t done very well out of the EU. There has been a massive net transfer of wealth into Ireland in the form of welfare payments to farmers via the CAP as well as structural funding for infrastructure.

Yes you're right my opening line should have read "have" and not "haven't", an early morning typo have corrected it now :rolleyes:

Oh dear, I find myself agreeing with Purple. I think I will have to go and have a little lie down.:)

We are all caught up in what the EU did for us. We keep looking to Europe. Colin from college hops out of bed every morning and amidst a volley of flatulence thanks God that he is a member of the Decision Making Sex. The presidents of most of the main world powers are male and they decide if some country should be invaded, or who should get famine relief or if NATO needs another base in the north Atlantic or if another mission to Mars should be launched.

Colin's breakfast is waiting for him prepared by his ever loving Irish mother who thinks Colin is God. Even Colin's sisters iron his clothes and help nurse his weekly hangover every Friday morning. Colin heads off for Friday's lectures confident in himself that nothing will stand in his way for his future. Over the weekend it dawns on Colin that the most important people in his life are female and they make the decisions on what he has for dinner, breakfast and tea. It is they who prepare him for his onslaught on the pub scene. Colin is astute and the most important things in his life are not what nation should be invaded or another mission into Space etc. The main decision making people reside in his own house. They decide what he will have for dinner, they kit him out, they humour him, they are there (repeat they are there).

So it is with the people of County Kerry. The Healy-Rae's decide what kind of roads will greet motorists, how much internet we should have, planning permission for the bungalow, Childrens Allowance for the new mother. Who in Kerry gives a whit about Brussels, Paris, London, Rome or Dublin? As long as they can have an easier life, they are happy to vote for Michael and Danny Healy-Rae.

But, the rest of us Colins can fart into the next millenium hoping somebody in europe will throw us a few husks before they have eaten the nuts. The people of Kerry got it right. The thing is none of us is any the wiser.

We are all caught up in what the EU did for us. We keep looking to Europe. Colin from college hops out of bed every morning and amidst a volley of flatulence thanks God that he is a member of the Decision Making Sex. The presidents of most of the main world powers are male and they decide if some country should be invaded, or who should get famine relief or if NATO needs another base in the north Atlantic or if another mission to Mars should be launched.

Colin's breakfast is waiting for him prepared by his ever loving Irish mother who thinks Colin is God. Even Colin's sisters iron his clothes and help nurse his weekly hangover every Friday morning. Colin heads off for Friday's lectures confident in himself that nothing will stand in his way for his future. Over the weekend it dawns on Colin that the most important people in his life are female and they make the decisions on what he has for dinner, breakfast and tea. It is they who prepare him for his onslaught on the pub scene. Colin is astute and the most important things in his life are not what nation should be invaded or another mission into Space etc. The main decision making people reside in his own house. They decide what he will have for dinner, they kit him out, they humour him, they are there (repeat they are there).

So it is with the people of County Kerry. The Healy-Rae's decide what kind of roads will greet motorists, how much internet we should have, planning permission for the bungalow, Childrens Allowance for the new mother. Who in Kerry gives a whit about Brussels, Paris, London, Rome or Dublin? As long as they can have an easier life, they are happy to vote for Michael and Danny Healy-Rae.

But, the rest of us Colins can fart into the next millenium hoping somebody in europe will throw us a few husks before they have eaten the nuts. The people of Kerry got it right. The thing is none of us is any the wiser.

I have lived in important places, times
When great events were decided, who owned
That half a rood of rock, a no-man's land
Surrounded by our pitchfork-armed claims.
I heard the Duffys shouting "Damn your soul!"
And old McCabe stripped to the waist, seen
Step the plot defying blue cast-steel -
"Here is the march along these iron stones."
That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
Was more important? I inclined
To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
Till Homer's ghost came whispering to my mind.
He said: I made the Iliad from such
A local row. Gods make their own importance.
- Patrick Kavanagh

Up to five minutes ago, I thought this government would stay intact for at least two years. Having listened to an early news report and the Garda Commissioner's apparent conflicting statements over the past week re Whistleblower's "malice or no malice" , I think the government is creaking already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back