Am I entitled to a raise?

Amy Marie

Hi,

So up until recently, I was working full time, alongside another girl who was working part time. A couple of months ago, she quit, and my employer has decided not to replace her. I have since then had my annual review, at which time my employer informed me that i would not be getting a pay rise or bonus this year. I now have to do the work of 2 people, and my responsibilities are growing by the day. The job is nothing like it was when I started, and I am not the only one that seems to think I am invaluable to the team.

Am I entitled to a raise?

No. You have no legal entitlement to a raise. You and your employer negotiate your salary, assuming it's not set down by some other industry standards.

If you are not happy with the salary, then you should look for another employer. Invaluable employees are hard to find.

Brendan

You possibly asked the wrong question! I.e. while you are not legally entitled to a raise your comments would indicate that your workload has increased quite heavily with out any additional compensation. I'm assuming that you have the same hours as per your original agreement and are not working any unpaid overtime or taking home work.
having said that you are clearly dissatisfied with the fact that your additional work is not being rewarded and I'm assuming that the "invaluable to the tem comment" would be shared by your employer. Best option at this stage is to approach him/her for a discussion on the topic and state your unhappiness with the current remuneration. If he/she accepts the facts of additional work then he/she should be able to explain to you why you are not getting rewarded for this. If you get no satisfaction from this approach then you will need to re-assess your options. I.e. perhaps looking for employment elsewhere. My advice to you is don't hold on to this victimization issue whatever the outcome. You spend a large portion of your life in work and while it may not be your ideal choice of occupation you should not spend the time hating it and your employer over an issue that is outside of your control. If you are good enough you will either be rewarded for it or be able to find an alternative employer who will give you the pay you deserve

you need to make a business case for a raise. Your employer has made a cost saving by not replacing the part timer. The question to ask is whether or not he is prepared to share some of that saving with you to reflect your increased role. If not, as other posters have said on here, then if you want more money, you may have to look elsewhere

Back