Alternatives to Phonewatch

Slim

Phonewatch has pulled it's almost annual stunt of writing to tell us how they are providing such a wonderful service that they're increasing the monthly DD to €35.

Is there a reasonable service available for less outside of major cities? Looking for monitored alarm service.

My dad had signed up to 42 a month last November. He happened to mention to a guy putting a dialler in that another company had come around (former Phone Watch subbies) and offered him 30 a month. And they reduced to match.

from my own looking around for him just briefly it seemed to be around 30 a month from the reputable guys. And you need to be able to stand over whoever is providing the monitoring and be happy with it.

PhoneWatch are the most expensive operator in the market. Look up the PSA site for the list of registered providers in your area and contact them for quotes.

If you're unfortunate enough to have some of the 'newer' PhoneWatch equipment, then you'd be better off getting a new systems installed which will give you better protection along with a lower monthly monitoring fee.

Phonewatch were bought out by Sector Alarms in 2013. Sector manufacture their own equipment, and from what I've seen it significantly lags the competition, be that HKC, Siemens, Aritec, etc..

So now PhoneWatch only install Sector equipment, and the level of monitoring offered means the alarm will only trigger once a burglar is already inside.

Thanks all. Calling Phonewatch to cancel entirely. We will wing it for now.

FWIW we're with a monitoring crowd called MCM based out of Cork, extremely reasonable, very happy with them. We had been doing the self-monitoring thing when landlines could text and moved to these guys when the service was dropped. [We have a Phonewatch installed HKC system, got sick of monitoring costs after about 2 years a long time ago]
I've set it off myself half a dozen times and they're always polite and watchful (never let me off without the password). Just what I wanted!
Hope it helps!

FWIW we're with a monitoring crowd called MCM based out of Cork, extremely reasonable, very happy with them. We had been doing the self-monitoring thing when landlines could text and moved to these guys when the service was dropped. [We have a Phonewatch installed HKC system, got sick of monitoring costs after about 2 years a long time ago]
I've set it off myself half a dozen times and they're always polite and watchful (never let me off without the password). Just what I wanted!
Hope it helps!
Thanks. I rang phonewatch and cancelled but they rang back and offered same rate to continue so l folded!

the level of monitoring offered means the alarm will only trigger once a burglar is already inside.

The basic alarm from Phonewatch typically puts sensors on the front and rear doors only but not on windows and there are 3 internal Pircams, should a burglar get in from a window then the alarm will not trigger until one of the internal Pircams detects him/her. So in this case with the basic alarm, yes it would only trigger when the burglar is inside.

A relation of mine recently got a Phonewatch system, and got sensors on all accessible windows and doors, so any attempt to gain entry will trigger the alarm, before the burglar gets in.

If one of the 3 internal Pircams then detects the burglar inside, this confirms to the call centre that a burglary is taking place and the Garda will also be called.

The basic alarm from Phonewatch typically puts sensors on the front and rear doors only but not on windows and there are 3 internal Pircams, should a burglar get in from a window then the alarm will not trigger until one of the internal Pircams detects him/her. So in this case with the basic alarm, yes it would only trigger when the burglar is inside.

A relation of mine recently got a Phonewatch system, and got sensors on all accessible windows and doors, so any attempt to gain entry will trigger the alarm, before the burglar gets in.

If one of the 3 internal Pircams then detects the burglar inside, this confirms to the call centre that a burglary is taking place and the Garda will also be called.

True, but again, use any other provider and you'll get the same (but with better technology) for less money. Once inside, a burglar knows they have time to do what they came to do before anyone will get there. If they see the PhoneWatch bellbox, they know there's a good chance the only protection is on the main doors and 1-3 internal PIR cameras. Doesn't take a genius to avoid those.

Ask your friend what level of site survey and risk assessment PhoneWatch carried out and look at their written assessment. I'd be fairly confident it was little more than a quotation with limited detail that didn't address the real needs or call out the shortcomings of their basic approach as they're supposed to under the legislation.

I have a Simon system. Phonewatch wants €408.53 a year for monitoring and maintenance. In April of last year, I paid €150 for batteries.

I phoned Phonelink.(Googled alternatives to Phone Watch) Their TAM told me to ring a mobile number. The mobile number told me to ring an office number. So that's enough messing.

I rang MCM based on Microsquid's recommendation. They gave the mobile number of their sales guy.

They do monitoring only which is €156 a year ( €127 + VAT)

I will need to contact a maintenance company separately which he reckons should be around €85 a year.

I rang Name deleted as company has threatened us with defamation over criticism (Google again) . They are recommended by Conor Pope in the Irish Times. Their answering machine told me to fill in the call back form on their website. I would have done that, if I had wanted to.

I am surprised that there isn't a company doing both which answers the phone and gives a price.

Try [broken link removed], KoolKid who posts here now and again, and is very active and helpful on Boards work with them.

Update

I got a call back from [broken link removed]This seems to be a federation of 13 sub-contractors who are all ex-Phonewatch. For maintenance they charge €50 per visit and said I would need two visits a year. The alarm monitoring is done via a separate company Smart Monitoring and costs €196.
[broken link removed]
My problem with this arrangement is that if the alarm beeps in the middle of the night, as it has done a few times, the guys in Smart Monitoring won't know how to bypass it. I would have to call the contractor who might or might not answer his phone at that hour of the morning.

In the meantime Phonewatch called me back and reduced the price to €300. This covers parts which I presume that the Alarm Watch Security Group doesn't cover as it's not a maintenance agreement as such. As Phonewatch says:

"Our new service is the best the security industry in Ireland has to offer, you’ll get;

· Instant response to your alarm(s) and dispatch of emergency services

· Lifetime guarantee on your alarm system including labour charges*

· Service and maintenance of your alarm system

· All break in emergency repairs are covered

· Emergency services callout charges are covers (if not covered by your insurance)

· You and your home are linked to our Alarm Receiving Centre, with a proven track record as industry leaders and experts – 24/7,365"

Try [broken link removed], KoolKid who posts here now and again, and is very active and helpful on Boards work with them.

Thanks Leo. I called them and they are another one of the Answering Machine operators.

Cuala got back to me promptly.

They too are a maintenance company which uses Smart Monitoring for the monitoring Service. They quoted €300 which includes a maintenance contract.

But as it's essentially the same as Phonewatch. As Phonewatch had phoned me back and offered to do it for €300 including VAT, I will stay with Phonewatch.

Brendan

Last edited:
Brendan - can I ask did you phone PW to see if they would move on the price, as I got similar letter looking for €34 p/m, and also looking at alternatives,

I got a quote from phonelink security:

cost for our GSM monitoring with a yearly routine service visit is €20.00 per month by direct debit. We use a world SIM card which is better than the current one you have with P*. The world SIM will look for the best network available with the best signal this ensures you always have a good connection to your monitoring service

anyone any experience of them or the service ?

Ideally, how often should the control panel battery be replaced? I have a Phonewatch control panel. My contract is up soon and I am currently looking at alternatives.

Also how often should the others - Pirs and doors/windows batteries be replaced? I changed from a full service (included battery changes) to basic service about 2 years ago. The batteries haven't been changed since. So I know that they last at least 2 years. They used to be replaced every year when I paid for the full service.

I was quoted €5 for each battery change and €20 for the control panel battery by a local service company - one I am considering as a Phonewatch alternative.

Marion

Ideally, how often should the control panel battery be replaced? I have a Phonewatch control panel. My contract is up soon and I am currently looking at alternatives.

Also how often should the others - Pirs and doors/windows batteries be replaced? I changed from a full service (included battery changes) to basic service about 2 years ago. The batteries haven't been changed since. So I know that they last at least 2 years. They used to be replaced every year when I paid for the full service.

I was quoted €5 for each battery change and €20 for the control panel battery by a local service company - one I am considering as a Phonewatch alternative.

Marion

I bought batteries suitable for Phonewatch (when I had the system) on ebay.

I remember they were quite reasonable at the time.

The system told me when a battery needed replacing.

Back