Health Insurance Alternatives to Laya Flex 250 Choice

Cosmo Kramer

Wondering if anyone can offer some insight or alternatives.

My partner and I both considering taking the Laya Flex 250 choice insurance but we are not committed to both having the same level of cover.

I'm 39,reasonably active and healthy but have had issues with sports injuries in the past few years necessitating some orthapedic procedures. Normally have 2 GP visits a year on average, perhaps a bit of physio and occasional chiropractor and dental. I'm changing from VHI.

She is 30,quite active. Has no prior health insurance. Is troubled by a knee injury and suspects that she needs an operation. This is leading her to question the wisdom of an excess.

We're based in Galway so we would probably like to have the Galway Clinic as an option.

Are we looking at the best option? The comparision site is heavy work and tends to confuse rather than clarify. So I was hoping to get some clearer insight here.

many thanks.

She is 30,quite active. Has no prior health insurance. Is troubled by a knee injury and suspects that she needs an operation. This is leading her to question the wisdom of an excess.
Surely any existing injury/illness will not be covered where no existing health cover is in place!!

Surely any existing injury/illness will not be covered where no existing health cover is in place!!

Most likely not. However that's a judgement re wear and tear that will be dealt with down the line. Any views on the policy in other regards?

Hi Cosmo Kramer,

There's a couple of things to note re this plan and most of Laya plans in particular regarding the Galway Clinic and
orthopaedic procedures. There is a co-payment for 5 procedures - hip and knee replacement only in this hospital.
I appreciate these type of surgeries may not be required for donkeys years to come. The co-payment amounts
range from 3000(hip) to 7000(knee).

https://www.layahealthcare.ie/orthopaedic/

https://www.layahealthcare.ie/media/site/pdfs/orthopaedic.pdf

For someone taking out health insurance for the first time, there are 2 waiting times to serve.
1. 26 weeks waiting before any new illnesses are covered.

2. 5 year waiting time applies to any pre-existing condition.

What plan are you on at the moment with VHI + when is your renewal?

Snowyb

For someone taking out health insurance for the first time, there are 2 waiting times to serve.
1. 26 weeks waiting before any new illnesses are covered.

When our son was small he was on our health insurance plan but he has not had health insurance as an adult in his own name since, about 20 years. If he takes out health insurance now is he considered "new" to health insurance?

Have you looked at the Flex 250 explore? it's over €200 cheaper than the choice so unless you're receiving reimbursements of over that amount for outpatient expenses it could be worthwhile.

Also, re: orthopaedic co payments in the Galway Clinic, the Bons provides orthopaedic cover without the co payments

We are a family of 5 - 2 adults (40) and 3 kids (1 - 6)

The Flex 250 Explore seems to be very good value relative to VHI OnePlan 250 or the PMI 37 13.

[broken link removed]

The total package, available online, comes to €1996.56 for my family.

Back