Alternatives to BOI for current and business banking

Given that many businesses are micro or small it should be realised that CBI have sanctioned business current accounts recently for many Credit Unions though they are not on stream yet. Business loans have always been available from CUs.

Many who do their financial business with CUs realise that their technology is on a par with all the banks.

Once they start providing business current accounts they are an option for business people.

Just had final straw with BOI. Effectively after paying tax etc I generate a payslip and pay myself from my business account to my current account, both with BOI. On the transaction description in my business account I make sure that the transaction gets an accurate description, to differentiate between months and if transaction is salary or expense reimbusement. This is important in the event of an audit. This information is visible online for recent transactions, statements are a different story though. A bit of a shock to find that none of this information shown on BOI statements, either as a sent transaction from my business account or as a credit in my current account. Quite frankly this is rubbish, paper statements from 10 years ago give more information than 2023 BOI despite years of technology.

Hi Sunny

No bank treats customers well.

But ptsb's culture of exploiting customers is deeply ingrained and comparatively much worse than the other banks.

I have dealt with the victims of all the banks They frequently post here. What AIB did to the Prevailing Rate customers was completely unacceptable. What Bank of Ireland continues to do to existing customers is completely unacceptable.

But ptsb is in a league of its own.

I would not do business with them unless I had no other choice. That comes from a long time campaigning on behalf of consumers.

On the business banking issue in particular, it's quite possible that they will decide one day to stop doing business banking and the customers will have to move again. Like it or not, there are only two options for business banking in Ireland - AIB or BoI.

Brendan
Depends on the size of the business , we do our business banking with HSBC, I can confirm they are light years ahead of boi and AIB

Given that many businesses are micro or small it should be realised that CBI have sanctioned business current accounts recently for many Credit Unions though they are not on stream yet. Business loans have always been available from CUs.

Many who do their financial business with CUs realise that their technology is on a par with all the banks.

Once they start providing business current accounts they are an option for business people.
I'd love to move to our Credit union. But it requires an Irish phone number to do online banking.

I'm sick of dealing with BOI as well and am planning to move to AIB

• no way of getting ordinary statements on Business on Line, they are only on Banking 365
  • transfer narratives regularly not appearing on recipients statements so lots of queries back to me because of this flaw
  • unable to add a narrative/description when lodging a cheque/cash at the machine -- very frustrating & inconvenient
  • Business call centre moved to India at some stage this year so now dealing with accent issues on typically very poor phone lines
  • lots of forms not available to download, have to contact business centre and wait for form to be emailed
I use AIB for my personal account and its a lot more efficient and easier than BOI so thats where I'm headed...

Last edited:
Back