Health Insurance Alternative to PMI 26 12 and VHI One +

Jellymonster

Hi, Following some brilliant advice a few years ago, my family and I have been on a combination of PMI 26 12 (adults) and One Plus (children 3 & 5 months) for the last three years. At the time, I wanted something with good maternity cover but that's no longer a priority. I've been looking through alternatives before we renew in the next few weeks and am struggling to find anything better but thought I'd ask here before I renew again....

For the adults, ideally I'd like to find something that provides a bit better cover for The Mater Private for procedures other than cardiac/special and maybe have some cover for the Blackrock Clinic as well. Having 1€ excess for day to day expenses and good return for GP and physio is important.

For the children, I'd like to find something that provides good cover for the private hospitals, covers SALT and ideally has a lower excess than we are currently paying.

Would rather stay with VHI but not completely adverse to switching if there was a much better/cheaper with same benefits option with one of the other providers.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi Jellymonster,

Sorry for delay in replying. Adult Options;
The following VHI plan is worth considering as an alternative option. Better hospital cover including 3 hi-tech Dublin hospitals.
Details as follows;

1. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1188pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private or hi-tech hospital excess capped at 150 x 1 max
per year for all admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure in private/hi-tech hospitals. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.
Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, 50% refund for gp visits, consultant visits, 25 euro refund for physio, dental etc.

The following Laya plan is worth considering if you want to avail of the child special offer. Details as follows;

2. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 2 per year max
for all admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure in private/hi-tech hospitals. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.
Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, 50% refund for gp, consultant, dental, physio etc - subject to a max refund of 500 per year.
(50% of 1000 = 500).

[broken link removed]

Child Options;

VHI Options;
1. VHI PMI 07 10; price 299 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 1 max
per year for all admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. All childrens hospitals are public and there is no excess to pay in any public
hospital. Note; the 3 Dublin based hi-tech hospitals offer a range of childrens surgery, covered on this plan. Good day to day cover included,
1 euro excess, 50% refund for gp, consultant, physio, dental etc.

2. VHI One Plan Complete; price 236 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, no excess to pay in any hospital on this plan.
Day to day covered, but the first 100 not allowed. If you want day to day cover with a 1 euro excess, you can add a seperate day to day policy
called HealthSteps Silver on to any plan. Price 88 per child. Details in the following link;
[broken link removed]

3. Laya Simply Connect Plus; price 280 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 1
max per year for all admissions. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess, 50% refund for
gp, consultants, dental, physio etc. up to 1000 max refund per year.

[broken link removed]

There is a special price offer for children with Laya healthcare at the moment, whereby you just pay for the 1st child and the rest of the children
are free. The following 3 plans are included in the offer. Day to day cover is limited, but it may not be necessary as the children are still under
6 yrs for free gp visits. The savings would cover a lot of medical expenses.

1. Essential Health 300; price 234pa(for all children), all public, private and Beacon hospital covered. Private excess 300 x 2 max per year for all admissions. Day case excess 125 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. All childrens hospitals are public but the Beacon hospital Dublin offer a list of childrens surgery fully covered on this plan.

2. Essential Connect Family; price 250pa(for all children), all public, private and Beacon hospital covered. Private excess 300 per family for all admissions and day case procedures. No excess to pay in any public hospital. All childrens hospitals are public but the Beacon hospital Dublin offer a list of childrens surgery fully covered on this plan.

3. Flex 125 explore; price 343pa;(for all children) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, Private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission, day case excess 50euro per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. All childrens hospitals are public, but the 3 hi-tech hospitals cover a range of childrens surgery fully covered on this plan. These hospitals are Mater Private Dublin, Blackrock Clinic Dublin and Beacon hospital dublin.

https://www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?plan_ids=698|394|383&source=plans

Hope this helps with your renewal decisions.
Note; SALT seems to come under educational rather than health so this would not be covered under health insurance.

Regards, Snowyb

Back