Alloy wheel locknuts

wowser

Have had my car for a year and out of curiosity recently decided to check out the "locknut" on my wheels in case I needed to change a puncture on a dark night - turns out only one nut fits the key I was given!

Guess I'll have to bring it into a garage and get them all fitted with the same locknut, but before I did I was wondering whether they're really that necessary? The car is a Punto - do people really go round nicking Fiat wheels?

The days of people steeling everyday alloys are gone IMO. Maybe very expensive 17" or 18" wheels off an M3 or something like that (not that i would know!)

Your local tyre centre might be able to help you out, they may even have replacement nuts to suit your punto.

If your not too worried about the locknuts maybe a vice grips might get them off.

Isn't the key for locknuts on alloys only supposed to work on one of the nuts, with the rest of the nuts being loosened as normal? This is how it is on my Ford anyway.

good question, i thought wowser had different locknuts on some of the wheels compare to others, do you?

Ronan is correct, there is one lock nut on each wheel and then the rest will be normal nuts.

You use the key on the lock nut.

I talked to a mechanic who reckoned that locknuts are not worth it. If they key is lost they are a nightmare to get off.

I suppose it is up to you. Worry of punto alloys being knicked or being stuck with a flat you can't get changed.

Yeah, one nut on each wheel is a special locknut. However, only one of those fits the key I have!

I reckon I'll get rid of them altogether - it'd be a pretty sorry knacker who went round robbing punto wheels. The danger of not being able to fix a flat at midnight somewhere in Cavan is more worrying :)

wowser said:
I reckon I'll get rid of them altogether - it'd be a pretty sorry knacker who went round robbing punto wheels.

Oh you'd be amazed.. It's a small hassle/price to pay for the security of knowing said 'knacker' will walk on by to an easier target.

Granted it's a while since i've seen a set stolen but why take the risk?

Back