Alarm Monitoring

Jason_77

It is possible to get a House Alarm monitored without having a fixed landline installed in the house?
I am thinking along the lines of a modem type solution.
Obviously, I don't want to have to spend a fortune on a solution either.

All information appreciated.

Thanks.

Surely if you have a modem it must be attached to something i.e. a phone line...?

I think the only other option would be an alarm with a built-in GSM module like they use in car tracking systems. I'd imagine this might work out more expensive than the land line option though.
Leo

You can buy wireless alarm installations now that will text you via SMS if you're alarm is triggered. All you need to do is get a pay as you go sim card (about €10) when installing.

These can be up to €500 if I remember correctly. Yale have a range of these that I'm investigating myself.

Thanks for the information.
Ronan, do you have a web address or phone number for Yale please?

The details for the alarm I'm looking at are here.

I remember that they're (or similar) available in the larger DIY places around Dublin at least (Woodies, Homebase and Atlantic Homecare) that I've seen.

Yeah, these would be a low cost option, but are not monitored in the traditional sense. I saw and item in B&Q recently that could learn the sounds of a number of sirens (alarm, smoke detector, etc.) and would text a set message for each to up to three mobile numbers. Advantage here for the DIYer was that it didn't need any physical connection to the alarm system, it just listened for the siren sounds.
Leo

AFIK from the links and with many domestic alarm signals, these units use the landline to SMS a mobile. A seperate reliable GSM unit for sending SMS costs about €600, but still needs a SIM and integration to whatever it is monitoring.

SineWave said:
AFIK from the links and with many domestic alarm signals, these units use the landline to SMS a mobile. A seperate reliable GSM unit for sending SMS costs about €600, but still needs a SIM and integration to whatever it is monitoring.

€449 euros in Atlantic Homecare for the above unit yesterday.

Apologies regarding the SIM. This unit DOES require a phone line. Got confused with others that I'd investigated where you can just put in a SIM card. One of these is [broken link removed] slightly more expensive at €695 (but no line rental or monitoring charges).

Some independent punters comments on the [broken link removed].

I would also like to say thanks for the above advice re:alarms need to get one installed in my house also and the camnode looks like a very good option. cheers. ps how difficult is it to self install?

If you already have an installed system, I imagine not too difficult. Mount it beside existing panel, wire in 230v. At this point you will need to loop off an alarm contact from existing panel to new one. This means that an alarm in existing panel will signal to GSM panel.

My situation is I have a wired alarm system but have not signed up to monitoring because of the cost and my belief that Garda will not arrive more quickly (if at all !!) because the monitoring company ring them as opposed to me ringing them following receipt of a text message.

So...what I want is an add on to my wired alarm which sends me a text in the event of an alarm triggered. If it can be without the need for a phone line great but failing that I could connect to a phone socket.

Any suggestions?

Back