Aircraft cabin sound

A

Ash

When on board airplanes in flight, I've often wondered what the audible single, electronic "bong" sound heard throughout the cabin means? It can happen several times during the flight. I assume it is an audible signal from the cockpit to the attendants but I could be wrong.

Does anyone out there know what exactly it is or what is is for?

While I'm on the subject of flying, what wise words can people share about their flying experiences, eg. getting upgrades, choosing the best seats, etc

Are you talking about the signal that indicates that the status of the seatbelt lights has changed?

Or the bong that indicates that someone has pushed the attention button at their seat ?

Can you describe this bong in a bit more detail ?

Seriously, it is most likely the sound which alerts cabin crew to the fact that someone needs more champagne or an extra ham sandwich and is matched with a little light going on above their seat.

Multiple bongs are normally indications to crew that another crew person wants to talk to them, or alternatively that someone has had too much champagne and thinks pushing the button is loads of fun . . .

z

attention seekers

Maybe it is a call for the attendant. I've never needed to do that so I wouldn't know. However, I've never seen an attendant hurrying through the cabin in response.

I can see how such a switch could be used by bored staff to liven things up though!

By the way, do Aer Lingus now charge for food on ALL flights?

Re: attention seekers

You typically don't see attendants hurrying anywhere unless they are about to be late for their flight or miss the bus to their hotel.

Most planes aren't sufficiently large for them to have to worry about hurrying anywhere, and those that are huge have a sufficiently large number of attendants and galleys to ensure they still don't have to hurry anywhere.

z

Re: attention seekers

electronic "bong"

Maybe the cabin crew are "smoking"?

a_smoke_it.jpg

bongs

Multiple bongs usually mean there is someone who is trying to turn on their reading light but is pressing the 'call attendent' button instead of the light switch.

Aer Lingus now only provide free food on transatlantic flights. To be honest I think that this is common with most airlines. Not too many do free food on flights less than 4 hours.

Re: bongs

As far as I know there are different bongs for different things

There is the above described little bong which indicates when someone presses the call button (or tries to press the reading light button) in the overhead panel. This bong also illuminates a little light so the cabin crew can see who "bonged"

Also there is a deeper sounding bong which is somehow used to communicate messages to the crew .. not sure entirely but you here for example often 2 or 3 bongs at certain times... I think they are messages passed from the flight deck to the cabin crew sometimes... some are simultaneous with the seatbelt lights ... some are after take off to tell the cabin crew it's okay to move around but before the punters can take the seatbelts off..

Also there often can be bongs associated with the gear being lowered before landing .. presumably telling the crew to confirm the cabin is secure etc.

Edited to add .. a bit of googling for "Aircraft Cabin Crew Chimes" (the odd thigns people search for on google) gives this .. www.attachemag.com/archiv...essay.html

Re: bongs

Aer Lingus now only provide free food on transatlantic flights.

For bong users only or for everbody?

Upgraded

'getting upgrades, choosing the best seats, etc'

Re: upgrades - Whereever you are sitting count yourself lucky. Most times your pilot would probably love an upgrade to economy!

Re: Those 'bongs' - Don't worry unless you hear the five-bell emergency landing signal!

Re: Upgraded

Don't worry unless you hear the five-bell emergency landing signal!

Yeah - I love all that palaver about emergency procedures in the event of having to "land on water" - blowing into the hose to inflate your lifejacket while blowing your whistle and shining your torch. Makes me feel safer anyway. Just like the "brace position" - hands over head - head between knees - kiss your ass goodbye!

Re: Upgraded

Yes. We give all those warnings to the passengers in our car. Those and tetanus shots. We reckon David Attenbrough could get a series out of our yoke. That's if he'd ever make it out.

and another thing

Can anybody tell me why the cabin lights have to be dimmed on take-off and landing?

Re: and another thing

I wonder if it's anything to do with us always having to turn the radio off when starting up our old Ford Cortina.

Re: Cabin Lights dimming

The theory behind dimming the cabin lights on take-off/landing is that if you had to evactuate the aircraft at night it means that your eyes would be more accustomed to the darkness.

Given that dimming the lights doesn't include reading lights and often only 1/2 the lights in the cabin will be dimmed I'm not sure how much merit there is in it ... but I believe this is the reason.

Re: and another thing

tobo said:
Can anybody tell me why the cabin lights have to be dimmed on take-off and landing?

In an crash...eh.. emergency landing it takes your eyes two minutes to adjust to darkness. If its dark outside the lights must be off in the cabin so that your eyes do not have to adjust in an emergency landing.

the sound you need to worry about is "purser to the flightdeck", thats the call for engine failure, emergency landing. You'll definetly see the crew moving then!

As someone who suffers from claustrophobia I panic when I find the "heat on" in the aircraft cabin. I am usually last on the plane before take off and have at times asked the cabin crew to lower the heat. I prefer the cabin cool then I am ok. Is there a recommended temperature for cabins? Are any airlines/planes worse than others.
I flew recently on an older aerlingus plane recently and I noticed that the people at the front of the cabin were suffering from the heat and the people at the rear of the cabin were suffering from the cold! I also find when I book in to a hotel I am asking for the lower floors as I won't go in a lift. Any advice as I find as I am getting older the problem is getting worse.

Back