Age profile of leading parties

P

paulief

Recently I have been taking more and more of an interest in politics, I suppose because it effects you more from day to day the older you get and the more you become involved in your community.

What I have noticed this week, is dare I say it, "the old boys brigade" syndrome in a number of parties. I am not referring to actions or even lack of, but actual age! RTE highlighted this fact very well in yesterday evenings news with Finn Gael coming to the forefront in this category.... grey hair and matching suits were the order of the day.

I also find it hard to believe that the other parties expect the public to believe that the temporary emergence of some "fresh young faces" on the scene just before the elections will sway the 20-something voter when all we will see for the duration of the next government are the same tired, old and well lets face it past it TD's.

When I joined my local Labour branch, I brought down the average age significantly - and I'm in my late 30's.

The age of a candidate would be of little interest in itself to me personally and I would be more interested/concerned with their views and policies.

To the idealist

well if the age profile is of little interest to you, then how can you genuinely be interested in the concerns or politics of any one party.... or canditate for that matter, as all are linked.

Surely it is of high importance to a political party to maintain a structured age profile, not only to ensure progression and stability accross generations but also to keep in touch with the "punters"....

Views and policies are key, however as part of a bigger picture, they generally fade away into party and personal ambition .. good or bad.

Hi Rainyday,

That really worries me . .. . how are we supposed to move forward without younger members... we must remember that younger people are driving this country with their ambition and thirst for success.
Is this common place in the Labour Party?

I suppose because it effects you more from day to day the older you get

Are you not addressing oyur own question here. The fact is even if there are young people in a party they are required to serve some time before being nominated for a ticket. The exception being parties like SF who are de facto new parties. In time they too will (hopefully) become mainstream, and the age profile will creep upwards.

Age of canditates will reflect the age of the membership, as you started by saying you don't get interested until you are older, ergo...

think before I speak and all that . . ..

I suppose what it boils down to is that I don't feel that the mainstream parties are aggressive enough in chasing new membership outside of finanacial contribution led interest....

With service in a chosen party from a younger age and its influence, will this bring about the changes we all want to see and the ideas and desires of the public brought to the forefront of politics??

Or are the "old boys brigade" going to live forever??

Re.paulief

The idea that the old boys brigade are boys, rather than old, is of more concern to me.
Natchessmen is right that the people who run for office need to serve their time at party level before they get onto a ticket to run for office.
The question for me is why don't more women get involved?
If half the TD's were women do you think that the childcare issue would not be at the top of the agenda?

Re: Childcare

If half the TD's were women do you think that the childcare issue would not be at the top of the agenda?

I'm sure things would improve but I'm not sure that it would be as dramatic as you might expect. Out Tanasite is female, our president is female they're hardly pushing back the frontiers. Mrs. Thatcher in the UK was allegedly female but I can’t recall any great effort on her behalf towards the sorority. To counter this, the Nordics are much more evenly represented and their social policy is much more family friendly. If there were votes in childcare issues the boys would make a big deal of it, it seems to be a long way down the agenda. Childcare issues effect us at a specific period of our lives and the question is, are there enough people at this particular stage to make it an election issue.

Hi Paulie - In all fairness, I must state that I have attended some more recent meetings and I've been pleased to be in the company of a batch of new 20-something members, which was reassuring.

The childcare issue runs both ways. Maybe if there were better childcare, it would be easier for more women to become involved in politics.

Are you suggesting that males don't have the same interest in childcare issues?

Marion :hat

Re.Marion;
Are you suggesting that males don't have the same interest in childcare issues?
I am a male and I have an interest in childcare issues but the fact is that it has more of an impact on womens lives than on mens lives. My wife drops the kids off in the morning (she starts work 2 1/2 hours after me) but we both pay for it.
Re.temptedd
Maybe if there were better childcare, it would be easier for more women to become involved in politics.
I agree, and not just politics, the job market to.

childcare & politics

I am a male and I have an interest in childcare issues but the fact is that it has more of an impact on womens lives than on mens lives.

yes I think if you look at the statistics most women are spending much more time looking after household and children than men do. One reason why men have time to pursue hobbies (golf, membership of policital parties) and women don't tend to do so. A reason why I often say I need a wife! A husband is no substitiute!
In any case, remember the uncomfortable shifting and evasiveness when Gay Byrne asked women politicians this question? (of course, noone ever has asked men this question)

Anyone see MaryLou McDonald on Prime Time last night? thought she aquitted herself well for a young person.

PS anyone find the awfully-well-fed jowly looks of younger male candidates off-putting? They all look so smug and pleased with themselves. :\

I'll be voting for Ivana, Joe Higgins, and Proinsios de Rossa.

The childcare issue runs both ways. Maybe if there were better childcare, it would be easier for more women to become involved in politics.
I think this is over-stating the point a bit. As a father of a young child, I too have to ensure that my wife or someone else is around to mind the baby before I go out canvassing.

Among my work colleagues, I know as many guys who are responsible for the creche run as gals. It's not really a gender issue.

Re.childcare & politics

I'll be voting for Ivana, Joe Higgins, and Proinsios de Rossa
I'm not with you on that one Bridget, in face with the exception of SF I would vote anyone but the above.
One reason why men have time to pursue hobbies (golf, membership of policital parties) and women don't tend to do so. A reason why I often say I need a wife! A husband is no substitiute!
That's very sexist. I commented based on the fact that on average men still work longer hours.
I put the three kids to bed the nights I am home from work before eight and like most men I know I do (at least) half the house work.
I know as many guys who are responsible for the creche run as gals.
Rainyday, you are right there but it still falls to women more than men to arrange things for children. It's not, as some women would say, that it's all down to them but it's not 50/50.

Re: Re.childcare & politics

I agree purple. There are lots of dads who play a very active role but it's rarely a clear 50:50 and even more rarely >50% dad's responsibility. I also think there is a clear societal bias against women in this regard. Men get a lot more kudos for making family-friendly choices than their female equivalents, IMHO.

Back