After Retirement

We are just back from 5 weeks in Gran Canaria so a very pleasant January and a week in Feb. We don’t look at it as a holiday but as a different place to live, so we would cook in the apartment mostly and eat out and have drinks around twice a week. We do a lot of walking a swim in the sea every day and off in the bus to visit a village or a different area. Most days weather was 24/26 .
I am just retired about 17 months and I’m enjoying my time so far. I walk cycle play golf. I have a yoga class and a weights class and this year I’m going to take swimming classes. I have not been bored yet. My husband retired a year before me and is also busy every day. We enjoy traveling so I’m looking at inter railing this year maybe 6 weeks in Europe. I am in a Facebook group Inter railing for older people and you get great ideas there. I’m also looking at volunteering one day a week but have not found the right one yet.
Before Christmas I did an online cookery course and it was very good.
I feel the main thing is to have an open mind and to challenge yourself. We really liked the area we went to in Gran Canaria this year and my husband would love to return there again but I try to go new places no matter how much I loved the place.

Does the inclination to spend as little as possible to increase kids inheritance creep up on you as you get older? As of now, at age 50, I have no intention of being frugal in my retirement!
Interesting one I think it depends on their age and whether you want to help them on the housing ladder etc. etc.
....I can see how this might happen though,,,...perhaps encouraged by the same "kids"!
I guess the more (financially?) independent the "kids "are the less I think this might come to mind....
I suppose there is also a difference as well between being frugal and not being very extravagant!
On the other hand If you provide them "too much" e.g. at one extreme knowing a large inheritance is coming their way it could make the "kids" lazy or reduce their ambition.
Just some thoughts....

To all the retirees sipping wine in Spain and Portugal, and the Canaries.
Just to let you know I cycled to work in the rain this morning. (along a cycle path).

The reason I cycle to work in the rain, is because I hate sitting in traffic!

Just jealous is all, but I'm two years away from retirement myself, so there's that to look forwards to.

Enjoy yourselves. You deserve it.

To all the retirees sipping wine in Spain and Portugal, and the Canaries.
Just to let you know I cycled to work in the rain this morning. (along a cycle path).

The reason I cycle to work in the rain, is because I hate sitting in traffic!

Just jealous is all, but I'm two years away from retirement myself, so there's that to look forwards to.

Enjoy yourselves. You deserve it.
As Mary Lou would say, you can say this too "Tiocfaidh ar la"

• Haha
Reactions: mtk
Back