Affordable housing up

Firefly

Newswire in this morning

"The number of social houses completed in the first quarter of 2007
rose 61pc to 1,453, according to new figures"

Anyone out there feel that the gov is giving the nod to builders to build more of these to keep the whole construction machine ticking along? Sort of keeping output at artificially high levels....

Builders do not decide to build social houses.

The govt decides to build them.

But, yes, I feel the govt will increase infrastructure and housing spending to compensate for the slowdown in private house building.

But, yes, I feel the govt will increase infrastructure and housing spending to compensate for the slowdown in private house building.
Provided they have sufficient funds following a slowdown in the housing market with a resultant reduction in property transactions.

Newswire in this morning

Anyone out there feel that the gov is giving the nod to builders to build more of these to keep the whole construction machine ticking along? Sort of keeping output at artificially high levels....

Whats the definition of built ? Could it be the same as new built by developer and then purchased by local authority

I think we will see a surge in house buying by the goverment to help the lads and keep the show on the road. Clearly this will have a real benefit for people who do need housing

Keep spending from Gov coffers to keep the economy moving along and sure the eejits in the private sector might think that all's hunky dorey....didn't this happen in '87...

Newswire in this morning

The reason there is a large increase in social & affordable house completions this year is because they are garanteed sales. So why not build houses that will sell as aposed to one that will not!

The above is called for under the Part V agreement of the Planning laws and regs.

Jaid

Keep spending from Gov coffers to keep the economy moving along and sure the eejits in the private sector might think that all's hunky dorey....didn't this happen in '87...

Cant you explain the above statement further? Whats your point?

Jaid

In the recessions of the 80's the Irish government started to increase public spending in an effort to stir the economy and more specifically to try to the private sector into spending but this didn't work out & hence we were left with large national debt.

The parallels I am drawing from this are that, in the face of declining/falling housing activity the government are buying up social housing which will mask the true nature of the market.

In the recessions of the 80's the Irish government started to increase public spending in an effort to stir the economy and more specifically to try to the private sector into spending but this didn't work out & hence we were left with large national debt.

The parallels I am drawing from this are that, in the face of declining/falling housing activity the government are buying up social housing which will mask the true nature of the market.

Are the government really buying enough property to bump up sales figures as much as you imply?

Jaid

Back