Affordabe Housing/Build/Buy

TheSphinx

Hi there

i though i would throw this one out - I was wanting to get myself on the property ladder, but don't know what is the besat way to go about it. I currently live in Monaghan in the home place, but my work is in Dundalk. My salary is currenty just under 40K. I have a car Loan currently paying €320 a month. I have being putting the max away on the SSIA which is to mature in 2007. I also have no €3000 in the credit union and €10,000 saved in the bank.
My problem is what do I do, I simply can't afford to buy in Dundalk, for starters they are not giving me a very big mortgage. I founnd Brokers are giving me less then the banks and are extremely rude, Permanent TSB I found was also very rude, and they don't appera to be very helpful - they only offered me 135K of a mortgage.
AIB are currently offering me 195k. That would allow me to buy a house in say Ballybay, which I am not keen in doing, as there is nothing there for me at all, I am paying out high mortgage to look at 4 walls in Ballybay. My earnings are just under 40K last year which means I am eligible for that - should I apply or would I be best trying to do things myself.
My other option is to build, i have a plot of land which I can get relatively cheap beside home, I would still have to commute, but I would have alot of house for 195k. So my question is do I ---

1. Buy a house in Ballybay
2. Apply for Affordable housing in Monaghan and Dundalk
3. Build a house
4. Don nothing and go for 3 holidays in a year?

Any comments greatfully received.

Back