Aer Lingus scraps new Porto route before it even started.

Strange....

That said, I know they have also started and then withdrawn regular scheduled flights to Liverpool on more than one occassion in the last few years. I think I may have also heard someone else reference other routes where there were similar experiences (not relating to specific issues at the airports, seasonal demand etc.).

I can only conclude that whoever is making the decisions on their routes is not capable of making correct decisions, or sticking to their decisions once made. If I were Willie Walsh, I would not be happy as it's a form of negative publicity and undermines the brand imho.

Also...I have noticed that the times of some flights have changed and not for the better. I hope that Willie is not transferring the better time slots to British Airways

Caught by this myself , due to fly in to Lisbon on the 26 March & back from Porto on 12 April.
Thankfully I have plenty of time on my hands & can return from Lisbon free of charge.
AL's email informed me that they were cancelling their summer schedule .
I registered a complaint asking in what universe can April be considered summer ?

Lots of very early morning flights and late evening flights. Not so many mid morning or early afternoon flights.

Hold on guys . . . we are all shop owners. We advertise that we sell chickens. Nobody is buying the chickens. Should we continue to sell chickens? I think not.

I would love if Aer Lingus/Ryanair flew from Waterford, but with flights from Dublin,Cork, Shannon, Kerry airports it might not be economic sense to fly from Waterford. But, if Waterford Airport Authority could source airlines that would fly from Waterford then there would be an interest from our big two.

Hold on guys . . . we are all shop owners. We advertise that we sell chickens. Nobody is buying the chickens. Should we continue to sell chickens? I think not.

That's a strawman argument no one is making.
This is not a long established route that has seen low demand develop.
This was a new route, which they must have researched in advance, and which they now cancel...

So, I think the very valid point remains: "whoever is making the decisions on their routes is not capable of making correct decisions."

They shouldn't sell tickets this far out that they are not sure they will honour.

And the other very valid point - what has happened to all their most sought after landing slots to places like Nice etc etc
There must be demand on the route - they still have early and late departures.

Last edited:
....I hope that Willie is not transferring the better time slots to British Airways

I suppose we all expected that sort of thing to start happening sooner or later, just didn't expect it to be under an Irishman's watch :(

Caught by this myself , due to fly in to Lisbon on the 26 March & back from Porto on 12 April.
Thankfully I have plenty of time on my hands & can return from Lisbon free of charge.
AL's email informed me that they were cancelling their summer schedule .
I registered a complaint asking in what universe can April be considered summer ?

My experience is that the timetable is divided into two. And changes can occur every April and November. I've frequently received email changes becauase of the summer/winter timetables being modified. It can be anything from 5 minutes to hours. Occassionally routes change.

Back