Advice re - van in for work at garage now won't start there

Dirac

Was hoping for some advice as to how I stand from a legal stand point.

In November 16my van failed the DOE so I sent it to a garage with the fail sheet for the work to be done. The chap from the garage picked the van up and drove it with trade plates to his garage.
I told him not to panic with it but since Christmas I have been asking for it back and basically he ca't get it started. He has tried for weeks to find the fault, but apparently when he plugs the diagnostics in the van will not communicate with his machine.

The van is a Peugeot Expert, and I need some advice as to how to approach the garage owner for some recompense for the fact the van is in a worse state than it was when I gave it to him. The van is still with them. To be fair the van is a 2005 so isn't worth a massive amount, but to recover it from his garage etc will also cost money, and then I will be out of pocket if I try to sell it as a none runner.

It was having brake work done, new bushes in some parts of the suspension, and an oil seal replaced.

What to do!?

He is refusing to buy it, so how do I stand legally in pursuing him for a claim in anybody's opinion?
Anyone had similar problems?

Is there no possiblity that a 12 year old van ,which already had problems,just developed another one?
Do you have any proof at all that any work the garage did contributed to the state of the van now?
The work you describe doesn't go on anywhere near the ecu .

Back